Fabrication of highly modulable fibrous 3D extracellular microenvironments
Siang, Basil Chew Joo
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Material Science and Engineering Program
Nanofabrication Core Lab
Operations and Services
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2017-06-13
Print Publication Date2017-09
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625609
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThree-dimensional (3D) in vitro scaffolds that mimic the irregular fibrous structures of in vivo extracellular matrix (ECM) are critical for many important biological applications. However, structural properties modulation of fibrous 3D scaffolds remains a challenge. Here, we report the first highly modulable 3D fibrous scaffolds self-assembled by high-aspect-ratio (HAR) microfibers. The scaffolds structural properties can be easily tailored to incorporate various physical cues, including geometry, stiffness, heterogeneity and nanotopography. Moreover, the fibrous scaffolds are readily and accurately patterned on desired locations of the substrate. Cell culture exhibits that our scaffolds can elicit strong bidirectional cell-material interactions. Furthermore, a functional disparity between the two-dimensional substrate and our 3D scaffolds is identified by cell spreading and proliferation data. These results prove the potential of the proposed scaffold as a biomimetic extracellular microenvironment for cell study.
CitationZhang X, Han F, Syed A, Bukhari EM, Siang BCJ, et al. (2017) Fabrication of highly modulable fibrous 3D extracellular microenvironments. Biomedical Microdevices 19. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10544-017-0187-y.
- Bio-inspired configurable multiscale extracellular matrix-like structures for functional alignment and guided orientation of cells.
- Authors: Bae WG, Kim J, Choung YH, Chung Y, Suh KY, Pang C, Chung JH, Jeong HE
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Novel 3D electrospun scaffolds with fibers oriented randomly and evenly in three dimensions to closely mimic the unique architectures of extracellular matrices in soft tissues: fabrication and mechanism study.
- Authors: Cai S, Xu H, Jiang Q, Yang Y
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 19
- Biomimetic hybrid scaffold consisting of co-electrospun collagen and PLLCL for 3D cell culture.
- Authors: Türker E, Yildiz ÜH, Arslan Yildiz A
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 15
- Design of three-dimensional biomimetic scaffolds.
- Authors: Owen SC, Shoichet MS
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 15
- Fabrication of three-dimensional nano, micro and micro/nano scaffolds of porous poly(lactic acid) by electrospinning and comparison of cell infiltration by Z-stacking/three-dimensional projection technique.
- Authors: Shalumon KT, Chennazhi KP, Tamura H, Kawahara K, Nair SV, Jayakumar R
- Issue date: 2012 Mar