Fabrication of highly modulable fibrous 3D extracellular microenvironments
Bukhari, Ebtihaj M.
Siang, Basil Chew Joo
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Imaging & Characterization Core Lab, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology, Thuwal, 23955-6900, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
Advanced Nanofabrication and Thin Film Core Lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625609
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThree-dimensional (3D) in vitro scaffolds that mimic the irregular fibrous structures of in vivo extracellular matrix (ECM) are critical for many important biological applications. However, structural properties modulation of fibrous 3D scaffolds remains a challenge. Here, we report the first highly modulable 3D fibrous scaffolds self-assembled by high-aspect-ratio (HAR) microfibers. The scaffolds structural properties can be easily tailored to incorporate various physical cues, including geometry, stiffness, heterogeneity and nanotopography. Moreover, the fibrous scaffolds are readily and accurately patterned on desired locations of the substrate. Cell culture exhibits that our scaffolds can elicit strong bidirectional cell-material interactions. Furthermore, a functional disparity between the two-dimensional substrate and our 3D scaffolds is identified by cell spreading and proliferation data. These results prove the potential of the proposed scaffold as a biomimetic extracellular microenvironment for cell study.
CitationZhang X, Han F, Syed A, Bukhari EM, Siang BCJ, et al. (2017) Fabrication of highly modulable fibrous 3D extracellular microenvironments. Biomedical Microdevices 19. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10544-017-0187-y.
- Bio-inspired configurable multiscale extracellular matrix-like structures for functional alignment and guided orientation of cells.
- Authors: Bae WG, Kim J, Choung YH, Chung Y, Suh KY, Pang C, Chung JH, Jeong HE
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Novel 3D electrospun scaffolds with fibers oriented randomly and evenly in three dimensions to closely mimic the unique architectures of extracellular matrices in soft tissues: fabrication and mechanism study.
- Authors: Cai S, Xu H, Jiang Q, Yang Y
- Issue date: 2013 Feb 19
- Electrospun Fibrous Scaffolds for Tissue Engineering: Viewpoints on Architecture and Fabrication.
- Authors: Jun I, Han HS, Edwards JR, Jeon H
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 6
- Three-dimensional extracellular matrix scaffolds by microfluidic fabrication for long-term spontaneously contracted cardiomyocyte culture.
- Authors: Mei JC, Wu AY, Wu PC, Cheng NC, Tsai WB, Yu J
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Design of three-dimensional biomimetic scaffolds.
- Authors: Owen SC, Shoichet MS
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 15