In Situ Immunofluorescent Staining of Autophagy in Muscle Stem Cells
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIncreasing evidence points to autophagy as a crucial regulatory process to preserve tissue homeostasis. It is known that autophagy is involved in skeletal muscle development and regeneration, and the autophagic process has been described in several muscular pathologies and agerelated muscle disorders. A recently described block of the autophagic process that correlates with the functional exhaustion of satellite cells during muscle repair supports the notion that active autophagy is coupled with productive muscle regeneration. These data uncover the crucial role of autophagy in satellite cell activation during muscle regeneration in both normal and pathological conditions, such as muscular dystrophies. Here, we provide a protocol to monitor the autophagic process in the adult Muscle Stem Cell (MuSC) compartment during muscle regenerative conditions. This protocol describes the setup methodology to perform in situ immunofluorescence imaging of LC3, an autophagy marker, and MyoD, a myogenic lineage marker, in muscle tissue sections from control and injured mice. The methodology reported allows for monitoring the autophagic process in one specific cell compartment, the MuSC compartment, which plays a central role in orchestrating muscle regeneration.
CitationCastagnetti F, Fiacco E, Imbriano C, Latella L (2017) <em>In Situ</em> Immunofluorescent Staining of Autophagy in Muscle Stem Cells. Journal of Visualized Experiments. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.3791/55908.
SponsorsThis work was supported by NIAMS AR064873, Epigen Project PB. P01.001.019/Progetto Bandiera Epigenomica IFT to L.L.
- MASTR directs MyoD-dependent satellite cell differentiation during skeletal muscle regeneration.
- Authors: Mokalled MH, Johnson AN, Creemers EE, Olson EN
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 15
- The increase of pericyte population in human neuromuscular disorders supports their role in muscle regeneration in vivo.
- Authors: Díaz-Manera J, Gallardo E, de Luna N, Navas M, Soria L, Garibaldi M, Rojas-García R, Tonlorenzi R, Cossu G, Illa I
- Issue date: 2012 Dec
- Identification and characterization of a non-satellite cell muscle resident progenitor during postnatal development.
- Authors: Mitchell KJ, Pannérec A, Cadot B, Parlakian A, Besson V, Gomes ER, Marazzi G, Sassoon DA
- Issue date: 2010 Mar
- Monitoring Autophagy in Muscle Stem Cells.
- Authors: García-Prat L, Muñoz-Cánoves P, Martínez-Vicente M
- Issue date: 2017
- Cdk9-55: a new player in muscle regeneration.
- Authors: Giacinti C, Musarò A, De Falco G, Jourdan I, Molinaro M, Bagella L, Simone C, Giordano A
- Issue date: 2008 Sep