Effects of High Temperature and Thermal Cycling on the Performance of Perovskite Solar Cells: Acceleration of Charge Recombination and Deterioration of Charge Extraction
AuthorsSheikh, Arif D.
Shaikh, Parvez Abdul Ajij
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Materials Science and Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Thuwal, 23955-6900, Saudi Arabia
KAUST Solar Centre, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) , Thuwal 23955-6900, Saudi Arabia.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIn this work, we investigated the effects of high operating temperature and thermal cycling on the photovoltaic performance of perovskite solar cells (PSCs) with a typical mesostructured (m)-TiO2-CH3NH3PbI3-xClx-spiro-OMeTAD architecture. After carrying out temperature-dependent grazing incidence wide-angle X-ray scattering (GIWAXS), in-situ X-ray diffraction (XRD) and optical absorption experiments, thermal durability of PSCs was tested by subjecting the devices to repetitive heating to 70 °C and cooling to room temperature (20 °C). An unexpected regenerative effect was observed after the first thermal cycle; the average power conversion efficiency (PCE) increased by approximately 10 % in reference to the as-prepared device. This increase of PCE was attributed to the heating-induced improvement of crystallinity and p-doping in the hole-transporter, Spiro-OMeTAD, which promotes the efficient extraction of photo-generated carriers. However, further thermal cycles produced a detrimental effect on the photovoltaic performance of PSCs with short-circuit current and fill factor degrading faster than the open-circuit voltage. Similarly, the photovoltaic performance of PSCs degraded at high operation temperatures; both short-circuit current and open-circuit voltage decreased with increasing temperature, but the temperature-dependent trend of fill factor was opposite. Our impedance spectroscopy analysis revealed a monotonous increase of charge transfer resistance and a concurrent decrease of charge recombination resistance with increasing temperature, indicating high recombination of charge carriers. Our results revealed that both thermal cycling and high temperatures produce irreversible detrimental effects on the PSC performance due to the deteriorated interfacial photo-carrier extraction. The present findings suggest that development of robust charge transporters and proper interface engineering are critical for the deployment of perovskite photovoltaics in harsh thermal environments.
CitationSheikh AD, Munir R, Haque MA, Bera A, Hu W, et al. (2017) Effects of High Temperature and Thermal Cycling on the Performance of Perovskite Solar Cells: Acceleration of Charge Recombination and Deterioration of Charge Extraction. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b11250.
SponsorsResearch reported in this publication was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia. CHESS is supported by the NSF & NIH/NIGMS via NSF award DMR-1332208.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Enhanced performance of CH3NH3PbI3-x Cl x perovskite solar cells by CH3NH3I modification of TiO2-perovskite layer interface.
- Authors: Wang W, Zhang Z, Cai Y, Chen J, Wang J, Huang R, Lu X, Gao X, Shui L, Wu S, Liu JM
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Charge transfer and recombination at the metal oxide/CH3NH3PbClI2/spiro-OMeTAD interfaces: uncovering the detailed mechanism behind high efficiency solar cells.
- Authors: Shen Q, Ogomi Y, Chang J, Tsukamoto S, Kukihara K, Oshima T, Osada N, Yoshino K, Katayama K, Toyoda T, Hayase S
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 7
- ZnO-Assisted Growth of CH<sub>3</sub>NH<sub>3</sub>PbI<sub>3- x</sub>Cl <sub>x</sub> Film and Efficient Planar Perovskite Solar Cells with a TiO<sub>2</sub>/ZnO/C<sub>60</sub> Electron Transport Trilayer.
- Authors: Xu J, Fang M, Chen J, Zhang B, Yao J, Dai S
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 20
- Relationship between ion migration and interfacial degradation of CH<sub>3</sub>NH<sub>3</sub>PbI<sub>3</sub> perovskite solar cells under thermal conditions.
- Authors: Kim S, Bae S, Lee SW, Cho K, Lee KD, Kim H, Park S, Kwon G, Ahn SW, Lee HM, Kang Y, Lee HS, Kim D
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 26
- Influence of a cobalt additive in spiro-OMeTAD on charge recombination and carrier density in perovskite solar cells investigated using impedance spectroscopy.
- Authors: Wang Q
- Issue date: 2018 Apr 18