High-Efficiency InGaN/GaN Quantum Well-Based Vertical Light-Emitting Diodes Fabricated on β-Ga2O3 Substrate
KAUST DepartmentElectron Microscopy
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Semiconductor and Material Spectroscopy (SMS) Laboratory
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625495
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe demonstrate a state-of-the-art high-efficiency GaN-based vertical light-emitting diode (VLED) grown on a transparent and conductive (-201)-oriented (β-Ga2O3) substrate, obtained using a straightforward growth process that does not require a high cost lift-off technique or complex fabrication process. The high-resolution scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM) images confirm that we produced high quality upper layers, including a multi-quantum well (MQW) grown on the masked β-Ga2O3 substrate. STEM imaging also shows a well-defined MQW without InN diffusion into the barrier. Electroluminescence (EL) measurements at room temperature indicate that we achieved a very high internal quantum efficiency (IQE) of 78%; at lower temperatures, IQE reaches ~ 86%. The photoluminescence (PL) and time-resolved PL analysis indicate that, at a high carrier injection density, the emission is dominated by radiative recombination with a negligible Auger effect; no quantum-confined Stark effect is observed. At low temperatures, no efficiency droop is observed at a high carrier injection density, indicating the superior VLED structure obtained without lift-off processing, which is cost-effective for large-scale devices.
CitationMuhammed M, Alwadai N, Lopatin S, Kuramata A, Roqan IS (2017) High-Efficiency InGaN/GaN Quantum Well-Based Vertical Light-Emitting Diodes Fabricated on β-Ga2O3 Substrate. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b09584.
SponsorsThe authors thank KAUST for the financial support.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Carrier dynamics of In<sub>x</sub>Ga<sub>1-x</sub>N/GaN multiple quantum wells grown on (-201) β-Ga<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub> for bright vertical light emitting diodes.
- Authors: Muhammed MM, Xu J, Wehbe N, Roqan IS
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 11
- GaN-based photon-recycling green light-emitting diodes with vertical-conduction structure.
- Authors: Sheu JK, Chen FB, Yen WY, Wang YC, Liu CN, Yeh YH, Lee ML
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 6
- Emission Characteristics of InGaN/GaN Core-Shell Nanorods Embedded in a 3D Light-Emitting Diode.
- Authors: Jung BO, Bae SY, Lee S, Kim SY, Lee JY, Honda Y, Amano H
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- The effect of free-standing GaN substrate on carrier localization in ultraviolet InGaN light-emitting diodes.
- Authors: Tsai MT, Chu CM, Huang CH, Wu YH, Chiu CH, Li ZY, Tu PM, Lee WI, Kuo HC
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Catalyst-free InGaN/GaN nanowire light emitting diodes grown on (001) silicon by molecular beam epitaxy.
- Authors: Guo W, Zhang M, Banerjee A, Bhattacharya P
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 8