High-Efficiency InGaN/GaN Quantum Well-Based Vertical Light-Emitting Diodes Fabricated on β-Ga2O3 Substrate
Alwadai, Norah Mohammed Mosfer
Roqan, Iman S.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Imaging and Characterization Core Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe demonstrate a state-of-the-art high-efficiency GaN-based vertical light-emitting diode (VLED) grown on a transparent and conductive (-201)-oriented (β-Ga2O3) substrate, obtained using a straightforward growth process that does not require a high cost lift-off technique or complex fabrication process. The high-resolution scanning transmission electron microscopy (STEM) images confirm that we produced high quality upper layers, including a multi-quantum well (MQW) grown on the masked β-Ga2O3 substrate. STEM imaging also shows a well-defined MQW without InN diffusion into the barrier. Electroluminescence (EL) measurements at room temperature indicate that we achieved a very high internal quantum efficiency (IQE) of 78%; at lower temperatures, IQE reaches ~ 86%. The photoluminescence (PL) and time-resolved PL analysis indicate that, at a high carrier injection density, the emission is dominated by radiative recombination with a negligible Auger effect; no quantum-confined Stark effect is observed. At low temperatures, no efficiency droop is observed at a high carrier injection density, indicating the superior VLED structure obtained without lift-off processing, which is cost-effective for large-scale devices.
CitationMuhammed M, Alwadai N, Lopatin S, Kuramata A, Roqan IS (2017) High-Efficiency InGaN/GaN Quantum Well-Based Vertical Light-Emitting Diodes Fabricated on β-Ga2O3 Substrate. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b09584.
SponsorsThe authors thank KAUST for the financial support.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Carrier dynamics of In<sub>x</sub>Ga<sub>1-x</sub>N/GaN multiple quantum wells grown on (-201) β-Ga<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub> for bright vertical light emitting diodes.
- Authors: Muhammed MM, Xu J, Wehbe N, Roqan IS
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 11
- Emission Characteristics of InGaN/GaN Core-Shell Nanorods Embedded in a 3D Light-Emitting Diode.
- Authors: Jung BO, Bae SY, Lee S, Kim SY, Lee JY, Honda Y, Amano H
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- The effect of free-standing GaN substrate on carrier localization in ultraviolet InGaN light-emitting diodes.
- Authors: Tsai MT, Chu CM, Huang CH, Wu YH, Chiu CH, Li ZY, Tu PM, Lee WI, Kuo HC
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- Catalyst-free InGaN/GaN nanowire light emitting diodes grown on (001) silicon by molecular beam epitaxy.
- Authors: Guo W, Zhang M, Banerjee A, Bhattacharya P
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 8
- GaN-based photon-recycling green light-emitting diodes with vertical-conduction structure.
- Authors: Sheu JK, Chen FB, Yen WY, Wang YC, Liu CN, Yeh YH, Lee ML
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 6