Out-of-plane Piezoelectricity and Ferroelectricity in Layered α-In2Se3 Nano-flakes
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPiezoelectric and ferroelectric properties in the two dimensional (2D) limit are highly desired for nanoelectronic, electromechanical, and optoelectronic applications. Here we report the first experimental evidence of out-of-plane piezoelectricity and ferroelectricity in van der Waals layered α-In2Se3 nano-flakes. The non-centrosymmetric R3m symmetry of the α-In2Se3 samples is confirmed by scanning transmission electron microscopy, second-harmonic generation, and Raman spectroscopy measurements. Domains with opposite polarizations are visualized by piezo-response force microscopy. Single-point poling experiments suggest that the polarization is potentially switchable for α-In2Se3 nano-flakes with thicknesses down to ~ 10 nm. The piezotronic effect is demonstrated in two-terminal devices, where the Schottky barrier can be modulated by the strain-induced piezopotential. Our work on polar α-In2Se3, one of the model 2D piezoelectrics and ferroelectrics with simple crystal structures, shows its great potential in electronic and photonic applications.
CitationZhou Y, Wu D, Zhu Y, Cho Y, He Q, et al. (2017) Out-of-plane Piezoelectricity and Ferroelectricity in Layered α-In2Se3 Nano-flakes. Nano Letters. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.7b02198.
SponsorsThe PFM work is supported by the Welch Foundation Grant F-1814. D.W. and Z.C. also acknowledges the support from NSF EFRI under Award # EFMA-1542747. The SHG work (Y. C. and M. C. D.) is supported by Welch Grant F-1038. The sample synthesis and device fabrication work are supported by the National Basic Research Program of China (No. 2014CB932500) and the National Natural Science Foundation of China (No. 21525310).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Room-temperature ferroelectricity and a switchable diode effect in two-dimensional α-In<sub>2</sub>Se<sub>3</sub> thin layers.
- Authors: Wan S, Li Y, Li W, Mao X, Zhu W, Zeng H
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 9
- Intercorrelated In-Plane and Out-of-Plane Ferroelectricity in Ultrathin Two-Dimensional Layered Semiconductor In<sub>2</sub>Se<sub>3</sub>.
- Authors: Cui C, Hu WJ, Yan X, Addiego C, Gao W, Wang Y, Wang Z, Li L, Cheng Y, Li P, Zhang X, Alshareef HN, Wu T, Zhu W, Pan X, Li LJ
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 14
- Prediction of intrinsic two-dimensional ferroelectrics in In<sub>2</sub>Se<sub>3</sub> and other III<sub>2</sub>-VI<sub>3</sub> van der Waals materials.
- Authors: Ding W, Zhu J, Wang Z, Gao Y, Xiao D, Gu Y, Zhang Z, Zhu W
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 7
- Multidirection Piezoelectricity in Mono- and Multilayered Hexagonal α-In<sub>2</sub>Se<sub>3</sub>.
- Authors: Xue F, Zhang J, Hu W, Hsu WT, Han A, Leung SF, Huang JK, Wan Y, Liu S, Zhang J, He JH, Chang WH, Wang ZL, Zhang X, Li LJ
- Issue date: 2018 May 22
- Room temperature in-plane ferroelectricity in van der Waals In<sub>2</sub>Se<sub>3</sub>.
- Authors: Zheng C, Yu L, Zhu L, Collins JL, Kim D, Lou Y, Xu C, Li M, Wei Z, Zhang Y, Edmonds MT, Li S, Seidel J, Zhu Y, Liu JZ, Tang WX, Fuhrer MS
- Issue date: 2018 Jul