High Electrocatalytic Response of a Mechanically Enhanced NbC Nanocomposite Electrode Towards Hydrogen Evolution Reaction
Valencia, Drochss P
Ziolo, Ronald F.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractResistant and efficient electrocatalysts for hydrogen evolution reaction (HER) are desired to replace scarce and commercially expensive platinum electrodes. Thin film electrodes of metal-carbides are a promising alternative due to their reduced price and similar catalytic properties. However, most of the studied structures to date neglect long lasting chemical and structural stability, focusing only on electrochemical efficiency. Herein we report on a new approach to easily deposit and control the micro/nanostructure of thin film electrodes based on niobium carbide (NbC) and their electrocatalytic response. We will show that, by improving the mechanical properties of the NbC electrodes, microstructure and mechanical resilience can be obtained whilst maintaining high electro catalytic response. We also address the influence of other parameters such as conductivity and chemical composition on the overall performance of the thin film electrodes. Finally, we show that nanocomposite NbC electrodes are promising candidates towards HER , and furthermore, that the methodology presented here is suitable to produce other transition metal carbides (TM-C) with improved catalytic and mechanical properties.
CitationCoy E, Yate L, Valencia DP, Aperador W, Siuzdak K, et al. (2017) High Electrocatalytic Response of a Mechanically Enhanced NbC Nanocomposite Electrode Towards Hydrogen Evolution Reaction. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b10317.
SponsorsE.C. and I.I. acknowledge the support and collaboration of Prof. Stefan Jurga from the NanoBioMedical Center. P.T, S.E and F.P acknowledge the Spanish Ministerio de Economía, Industria y Competitividad (MINECO) through the MAT2016-79455-P project. W.A. acknowledges support of
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Molybdenum Carbide-Based Electrocatalysts for Hydrogen Evolution Reaction.
- Authors: Miao M, Pan J, He T, Yan Y, Xia BY, Wang X
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 16
- Structural Design and Electronic Modulation of Transition-Metal-Carbide Electrocatalysts toward Efficient Hydrogen Evolution.
- Authors: Gao Q, Zhang W, Shi Z, Yang L, Tang Y
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 21
- General Strategy for the Synthesis of Transition Metal Phosphide Films for Electrocatalytic Hydrogen and Oxygen Evolution.
- Authors: Read CG, Callejas JF, Holder CF, Schaak RE
- Issue date: 2016 May 25
- Self-Supported Biocarbon-Fiber Electrode Decorated with Molybdenum Carbide Nanoparticles for Highly Active Hydrogen-Evolution Reaction.
- Authors: Xiao J, Zhang Y, Zhang Z, Lv Q, Jing F, Chi K, Wang S
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 12
- Surface and Interface Engineering of Noble-Metal-Free Electrocatalysts for Efficient Energy Conversion Processes.
- Authors: Zhu YP, Guo C, Zheng Y, Qiao SZ
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 18