Simultaneous nitrogen and organics removal using membrane aeration and effluent ultrafiltration in an anaerobic fluidized membrane bioreactor
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Environmental Science and Engineering Program
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625319
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDissolved methane and a lack of nutrient removal are two concerns for treatment of wastewater using anaerobic fluidized bed membrane bioreactors (AFMBRs). Membrane aerators were integrated into an AFMBR to form an Aeration membrane fluidized bed membrane bioreactor (AeMFMBR) capable of simultaneous removal of organic matter and ammonia without production of dissolved methane. Good effluent quality was obtained with no detectable suspended solids, 93±5% of chemical oxygen demand (COD) removal to 14±11 mg/L, and 74±8% of total ammonia (TA) removal to 12±3 mg-N/L for domestic wastewater (COD of 193±23 mg/L and TA of 49±5 mg-N/L) treatment. Nitrate and nitrite concentrations were always low (< 1 mg-N/L) during continuous flow treatment. Membrane fouling was well controlled by fluidization of the granular activated carbon (GAC) particles (transmembrane pressures maintained <3 kPa). Analysis of the microbial communities suggested that nitrogen removal was due to nitrification and denitrification based on the presence of microorganisms associated with these processes.
CitationYe Y, Saikaly PE, Logan BE (2017) Simultaneous nitrogen and organics removal using membrane aeration and effluent ultrafiltration in an anaerobic fluidized membrane bioreactor. Bioresource Technology. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2017.07.183.
SponsorsThis work was supported by grant OSR-2016-CPF-2907-03 from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- Performance of anaerobic fluidized membrane bioreactors using effluents of microbial fuel cells treating domestic wastewater.
- Authors: Kim KY, Yang W, Ye Y, LaBarge N, Logan BE
- Issue date: 2016 May
- Anaerobic fluidized bed membrane bioreactor for wastewater treatment.
- Authors: Kim J, Kim K, Ye H, Lee E, Shin C, McCarty PL, Bae J
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 15
- Upflow anaerobic sludge blanket reactor--a review.
- Authors: Bal AS, Dhagat NN
- Issue date: 2001 Apr
- Investigating membrane fouling associated with GAC fluidization on membrane with effluent from anaerobic fluidized bed bioreactor in domestic wastewater treatment.
- Authors: Aslam M, Kim J
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- A two-stage microbial fuel cell and anaerobic fluidized bed membrane bioreactor (MFC-AFMBR) system for effective domestic wastewater treatment.
- Authors: Ren L, Ahn Y, Logan BE
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 1