Synthesis of reduced-size gold nanostars and internalization in SH-SY5Y cells
Bertani, Serena Maria
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe synthesis of large pentatwinned five-branched gold nanostars (GNS) has been modified so to obtain overall dimensions shrunk to 60% and a lower branches aspect ratio, leading to a dramatic blue shift of their two near-infrared (NIR) localized surface plasmon resonances (LSPR) absorptions but still maintaining one LSPR in the biotransparent NIR range. The interactions of polyethylene glycol (PEG) coated large and shrunk GNS with SH-SY5Y cells revealed that the large ones (DCI - diameter of the circumference in which GNS can be inscribed = 76 nm) are internalized more efficiently than the shrunk ones (DCI = 46 nm), correlating with a decreased cells surving fraction.
CitationDacarro G, Pallavicini P, Bertani SM, Chirico G, D’Alfonso L, et al. (2017) Synthesis of reduced-size gold nanostars and internalization in SH-SY5Y cells. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcis.2017.06.102.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the Italian Ministry of Instruction, University and Research (MIUR) and by PRIN 2010–11 [20109PLMH2]. The University of Pavia and CIRCMSB (Consorzio Interuniversitario di Ricerca in Chimica dei Metalli nei Sistemi Biologici) are also gratefully acknowledged for support. LD would like to thank Sara Oprandi for her help in collecting the photothermal response data.
- Gold nanostars coated with neutral and charged polyethylene glycols: A comparative study of in-vitro biocompatibility and of their interaction with SH-SY5Y neuroblastoma cells.
- Authors: Pallavicini P, Cabrini E, Cavallaro G, Chirico G, Collini M, D'Alfonso L, Dacarro G, Donà A, Marchesi N, Milanese C, Pascale A, Sironi L, Taglietti A
- Issue date: 2015 Oct
- Gold nanostars co-coated with the Cu(II) complex of a tetraazamacrocyclic ligand.
- Authors: Pallavicini P, Bernhard C, Chirico G, Dacarro G, Denat F, Donà A, Milanese C, Taglietti A
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 28
- Localized surface plasmon resonance with five-branched gold nanostars in a plastic optical fiber for bio-chemical sensor implementation.
- Authors: Cennamo N, D'Agostino G, Donà A, Dacarro G, Pallavicini P, Pesavento M, Zeni L
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 29
- Gold nanostar-polymer hybrids for siRNA delivery: Polymer design towards colloidal stability and in vitro studies on breast cancer cells.
- Authors: Sardo C, Bassi B, Craparo EF, Scialabba C, Cabrini E, Dacarro G, D'Agostino A, Taglietti A, Giammona G, Pallavicini P, Cavallaro G
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 15
- Amphiphilic copolymers based on poly[(hydroxyethyl)-D,L-aspartamide]: a suitable functional coating for biocompatible gold nanostars.
- Authors: Cavallaro G, Triolo D, Licciardi M, Giammona G, Chirico G, Sironi L, Dacarro G, Donà A, Milanese C, Pallavicini P
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 9