The Arabidopsis SWI/SNF protein BAF60 mediates seedling growth control by modulating DNA accessibility
Ramirez Prado, Juan Sebastian
Mahfouz, Magdy M.
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Desert Agriculture Initiative
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625066
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPlant adaptive responses to changing environments involve complex molecular interplays between intrinsic and external signals. Whilst much is known on the signaling components mediating diurnal, light, and temperature controls on plant development, their influence on chromatin-based transcriptional controls remains poorly explored.In this study we show that a SWI/SNF chromatin remodeler subunit, BAF60, represses seedling growth by modulating DNA accessibility of hypocotyl cell size regulatory genes. BAF60 binds nucleosome-free regions of multiple G box-containing genes, opposing in cis the promoting effect of the photomorphogenic and thermomorphogenic regulator Phytochrome Interacting Factor 4 (PIF4) on hypocotyl elongation. Furthermore, BAF60 expression level is regulated in response to light and daily rhythms.These results unveil a short path between a chromatin remodeler and a signaling component to fine-tune plant morphogenesis in response to environmental conditions.
CitationJégu T, Veluchamy A, Ramirez-Prado JS, Rizzi-Paillet C, Perez M, et al. (2017) The Arabidopsis SWI/SNF protein BAF60 mediates seedling growth control by modulating DNA accessibility. Genome Biology 18. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s13059-017-1246-7.
SponsorsThis work was funded by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) and Université Paris Sud. The IPS2 benefits from the support of the LabExSaclay Plant Sciences-SPS (ANR-10-LABX-0040-SPS).
RelationsIs Supplemented By:
Jégu, T., Alaguraj Veluchamy, Ramirez-Prado, J., Rizzi-Paillet, C., Perez, M., Lhomme, A., Latrasse, D., Coleno, E., Vicaire, S., Legras, S., Jost, B., Rougée, M., Barneche, F., Bergounioux, C., Crespi, M., Magdy Mahfouz, Hirt, H., Raynaud, C., & Benhamed, M. (2017). The Arabidopsis SWI/SNF protein BAF60 mediates seedling growth control by modulating DNA accessibility. Figshare. https://doi.org/10.6084/M9.FIGSHARE.C.3804568.V1. DOI: 10.6084/m9.figshare.c.3804568.v1 Handle: 10754/663792
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made. The Creative Commons Public Domain Dedication waiver (http://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/) applies to the data made available in this article, unless otherwise stated.
- ZEITLUPE enhances expression of PIF4 and YUC8 in the upper aerial parts of Arabidopsis seedlings to positively regulate hypocotyl elongation.
- Authors: Saitoh A, Takase T, Abe H, Watahiki M, Hirakawa Y, Kiyosue T
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Cryptochrome 1 interacts with PIF4 to regulate high temperature-mediated hypocotyl elongation in response to blue light.
- Authors: Ma D, Li X, Guo Y, Chu J, Fang S, Yan C, Noel JP, Liu H
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 5
- The SWI/SNF ATP-Dependent Chromatin Remodeling Complex in Arabidopsis Responds to Environmental Changes in Temperature-Dependent Manner.
- Authors: Gratkowska-Zmuda DM, Kubala S, Sarnowska E, Cwiek P, Oksinska P, Steciuk J, Rolicka AT, Zaborowska M, Bucior E, Maassen A, Franzen R, Koncz C, Sarnowski TJ
- Issue date: 2020 Jan 23
- A SWI/SNF Chromatin Remodelling Protein Controls Cytokinin Production through the Regulation of Chromatin Architecture.
- Authors: Jégu T, Domenichini S, Blein T, Ariel F, Christ A, Kim SK, Crespi M, Boutet-Mercey S, Mouille G, Bourge M, Hirt H, Bergounioux C, Raynaud C, Benhamed M
- Issue date: 2015
- The Arabidopsis RLCK VI_A2 Kinase Controls Seedling and Plant Growth in Parallel with Gibberellin.
- Authors: Valkai I, Kénesi E, Domonkos I, Ayaydin F, Tarkowská D, Strnad M, Faragó A, Bodai L, Fehér A
- Issue date: 2020 Oct 1