Thermoresponsive pegylated bubble liposome nanovectors for efficient siRNA delivery via endosomal escape
Croissant, Jonas G.
Khashab, Niveen M.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImproving the delivery of siRNA into cancer cells via bubble liposomes. Designing a thermoresponsive pegylated liposome through the introduction of ammonium bicarbonate salt into liposomes so as to control their endosomal escape for gene therapy.A sub-200 nm nanovector was fully characterized and examined for cellular uptake, cytotoxicity, endosomal escape and gene silencing.The siRNA-liposomes were internalized into cancer cells within 5 min and then released siRNAs in the cytosol prior to lysosomal degradation upon external temperature elevation. This was confirmed by confocal bioimaging and gene silencing reaching up to 90% and further demonstrated by the protein inhibition of both target genes.The thermoresponsiveness of ammonium bicarbonate containing liposomes enabled the rapid endosomal escape of the particles and resulted in an efficient gene silencing.
CitationAlamoudi K, Martins P, Croissant JG, Patil S, Omar H, et al. (2017) Thermoresponsive pegylated bubble liposome nanovectors for efficient siRNA delivery via endosomal escape. Nanomedicine. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.2217/nnm-2017-0021.
SponsorsWe gratefully acknowledge support from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). The authors have no other relevant affiliations or financial involvement with any organization or entity with a financial interest in or financial conflict with the subject matter or materials discussed in the manuscript apart from those disclosed.
PublisherFuture Medicine Ltd
- Enhanced cellular uptake and gene silencing activity of siRNA using temperature-responsive polymer-modified liposome.
- Authors: Wang J, Ayano E, Maitani Y, Kanazawa H
- Issue date: 2017 May 15
- Enhanced endosomal/lysosomal escape by distearoyl phosphoethanolamine-polycarboxybetaine lipid for systemic delivery of siRNA.
- Authors: Li Y, Cheng Q, Jiang Q, Huang Y, Liu H, Zhao Y, Cao W, Ma G, Dai F, Liang X, Liang Z, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 28
- Efficient siRNA delivery based on PEGylated and partially quaternized polyamine nanogels: enhanced gene silencing activity by the cooperative effect of tertiary and quaternary amino groups in the core.
- Authors: Tamura A, Oishi M, Nagasaki Y
- Issue date: 2010 Sep 15
- Bubble liposomes and ultrasound promoted endosomal escape of TAT-PEG liposomes as gene delivery carriers.
- Authors: Omata D, Negishi Y, Hagiwara S, Yamamura S, Endo-Takahashi Y, Suzuki R, Maruyama K, Nomizu M, Aramaki Y
- Issue date: 2011 Dec 5
- Anti-EphA10 antibody-conjugated pH-sensitive liposomes for specific intracellular delivery of siRNA.
- Authors: Zang X, Ding H, Zhao X, Li X, Du Z, Hu H, Qiao M, Chen D, Deng Y, Zhao X
- Issue date: 2016