Spatiotemporal Observation of Electron-Impact Dynamics in Photovoltaic Materials Using 4D Electron Microscopy
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Ultrafast Laser Spectroscopy and Four-dimensional Electron Imaging Research Group
Online Publication Date2017-05-22
Print Publication Date2017-06
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625022
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUnderstanding light-triggered charge carrier dynamics near photovoltaic-material surfaces and at interfaces has been a key element and one of the major challenges for the development of real-world energy devices. Visualization of such dynamics information can be obtained using the one-of-a-kind methodology of scanning ultrafast electron microscopy (S-UEM). Here, we address the fundamental issue of how the thickness of the absorber layer may significantly affect the charge carrier dynamics on material surfaces. Time-resolved snapshots indicate that the dynamics of charge carriers generated by electron impact in the electron-photon dynamical probing regime is highly sensitive to the thickness of the absorber layer, as demonstrated using CdSe films of different thicknesses as a model system. This finding not only provides the foundation for potential applications of S-UEM to a wide range of devices in the fields of chemical and materials research, but also has impact on the use and interpretation of electron beam-induced current for optimization of photoactive materials in these devices.
CitationShaheen BS, Sun J, Yang D-S, Mohammed OF (2017) Spatiotemporal Observation of Electron-Impact Dynamics in Photovoltaic Materials Using 4D Electron Microscopy. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 8: 2455–2462. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpclett.7b01116.
SponsorsThe work reported here was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). D.-S.Y. acknowledges the support from the R. A. Welch Foundation (Grant No. E-1860). The authors acknowledge B. Murali for providing standard SEM images for the CdSe films.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Mapping Carrier Dynamics on Material Surfaces in Space and Time using Scanning Ultrafast Electron Microscopy.
- Authors: Sun J, Adhikari A, Shaheen BS, Yang H, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 17
- Real-Space Imaging of Carrier Dynamics of Materials Surfaces by Second-Generation Four-Dimensional Scanning Ultrafast Electron Microscopy.
- Authors: Sun J, Melnikov VA, Khan JI, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 1
- Four-Dimensional Ultrafast Electron Microscopy: Insights into an Emerging Technique.
- Authors: Adhikari A, Eliason JK, Sun J, Bose R, Flannigan DJ, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 11
- Real-Space Mapping of Surface-Oxygen Defect States in Photovoltaic Materials Using Low-Voltage Scanning Ultrafast Electron Microscopy.
- Authors: Shaheen BS, El-Zohry AM, Zhao J, Yin J, Hedhili MN, Bakr OM, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 12
- Enhanced Optoelectronic Performance of a Passivated Nanowire-Based Device: Key Information from Real-Space Imaging Using 4D Electron Microscopy.
- Authors: Khan JI, Adhikari A, Sun J, Priante D, Bose R, Shaheen BS, Ng TK, Zhao C, Bakr OM, Ooi BS, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2016 May