Spatiotemporal Observation of Electron-Impact Dynamics in Photovoltaic Materials Using 4D Electron Microscopy
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Chemical Science Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
KAUST Solar Center, King Abdullah University of Science and Technology , Thuwal 23955-6900, Saudi Arabia.
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625022
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUnderstanding light-triggered charge carrier dynamics near photovoltaic-material surfaces and at interfaces has been a key element and one of the major challenges for the development of real-world energy devices. Visualization of such dynamics information can be obtained using the one-of-a-kind methodology of scanning ultrafast electron microscopy (S-UEM). Here, we address the fundamental issue of how the thickness of the absorber layer may significantly affect the charge carrier dynamics on material surfaces. Time-resolved snapshots indicate that the dynamics of charge carriers generated by electron impact in the electron-photon dynamical probing regime is highly sensitive to the thickness of the absorber layer, as demonstrated using CdSe films of different thicknesses as a model system. This finding not only provides the foundation for potential applications of S-UEM to a wide range of devices in the fields of chemical and materials research, but also has impact on the use and interpretation of electron beam-induced current for optimization of photoactive materials in these devices.
CitationShaheen BS, Sun J, Yang D-S, Mohammed OF (2017) Spatiotemporal Observation of Electron-Impact Dynamics in Photovoltaic Materials Using 4D Electron Microscopy. The Journal of Physical Chemistry Letters 8: 2455–2462. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.jpclett.7b01116.
SponsorsThe work reported here was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). D.-S.Y. acknowledges the support from the R. A. Welch Foundation (Grant No. E-1860). The authors acknowledge B. Murali for providing standard SEM images for the CdSe films.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Mapping Carrier Dynamics on Material Surfaces in Space and Time using Scanning Ultrafast Electron Microscopy.
- Authors: Sun J, Adhikari A, Shaheen BS, Yang H, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 17
- Real-Space Imaging of Carrier Dynamics of Materials Surfaces by Second-Generation Four-Dimensional Scanning Ultrafast Electron Microscopy.
- Authors: Sun J, Melnikov VA, Khan JI, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 1
- Four-Dimensional Ultrafast Electron Microscopy: Insights into an Emerging Technique.
- Authors: Adhikari A, Eliason JK, Sun J, Bose R, Flannigan DJ, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 11
- Enhanced Optoelectronic Performance of a Passivated Nanowire-Based Device: Key Information from Real-Space Imaging Using 4D Electron Microscopy.
- Authors: Khan JI, Adhikari A, Sun J, Priante D, Bose R, Shaheen BS, Ng TK, Zhao C, Bakr OM, Ooi BS, Mohammed OF
- Issue date: 2016 May
- 4D scanning ultrafast electron microscopy: visualization of materials surface dynamics.
- Authors: Mohammed OF, Yang DS, Pal SK, Zewail AH
- Issue date: 2011 May 25