Role of G3BP1 in glucocorticoid receptor-mediated microRNA-15b and microRNA-23a biogenesis in endothelial cells
Mak, Kylie Hin-Man
Yue, Patrick Ying-Kit
Wong, Ricky Ngok-Shun
KAUST DepartmentBiosciences Core Lab
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMicroRNAs (miRNAs) are a family of non-coding RNAs that play crucial roles in regulating various normal cellular responses. Recent studies revealed that the canonical miRNA biogenesis pathway is subject to sophisticated regulation. Hormonal control of miRNA biogenesis by androgen and estrogen has been demonstrated, but the direct effects of the glucocorticoid receptor (GR) on miRNA biogenesis are unknown. This study revealed the role of GR in miRNA maturation. We showed that two GR agonists, dexamethasone and ginsenoside-Rg1 rapidly suppressed the expression of mature miR-15b, miR-23a, and miR-214 in human endothelial cells. RNA pulldown coupled with proteomic analysis identified GTPase-activating protein (SH3 domain) binding protein 1 (G3BP1) as one of the RNA-binding proteins mediating GR-regulated miRNA maturation. Activated GR induced phosphorylation of v-AKT Murine Thymoma Viral Oncogene Homologue (AKT) kinase, which in turn phosphorylated and promoted nuclear translocation of G3BP1. The nuclear G3BP1 bound to the G3BP1 consensus sequence located on primary miR-15b~16-2 and miR-23a~27a~24-2 to inhibit their maturation. The findings from this study have advanced our understanding of the non-genomic effects of GR in the vascular system.
CitationKwok H-H, Poon P-Y, Mak KH-M, Zhang L-Y, Liu P, et al. (2017) Role of G3BP1 in glucocorticoid receptor-mediated microRNA-15b and microRNA-23a biogenesis in endothelial cells. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00018-017-2540-y.
SponsorsWe would like to thank Ms. Hoi Ki LEE for her preliminary work on this study. This work was supported by the Dr. Gilbert Hung Ginseng Laboratory Fund.
- Combined structural, biochemical and cellular evidence demonstrates that both FGDF motifs in alphavirus nsP3 are required for efficient replication.
- Authors: Schulte T, Liu L, Panas MD, Thaa B, Dickson N, Götte B, Achour A, McInerney GM
- Issue date: 2016 Jul
- Ginsenoside-Rg1 induces angiogenesis by the inverse regulation of MET tyrosine kinase receptor expression through miR-23a.
- Authors: Kwok HH, Chan LS, Poon PY, Yue PY, Wong RN
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 15
- Breed-specific expression of DROSHA, DICER and AGO2 is regulated by glucocorticoid-mediated miRNAs in the liver of newborn piglets.
- Authors: Li R, Jia Y, Zou H, Zhao R
- Issue date: 2014 Dec
- GTPase Activating Protein (Sh3 Domain) Binding Protein 1 Regulates the Processing of MicroRNA-1 during Cardiac Hypertrophy.
- Authors: He M, Yang Z, Abdellatif M, Sayed D
- Issue date: 2015
- MicroRNA-23a and MicroRNA-27a Mimic Exercise by Ameliorating CKD-Induced Muscle Atrophy.
- Authors: Wang B, Zhang C, Zhang A, Cai H, Price SR, Wang XH
- Issue date: 2017 Sep