Role of G3BP1 in glucocorticoid receptor-mediated microRNA-15b and microRNA-23a biogenesis in endothelial cells
Mak, Kylie Hin-Man
Yue, Patrick Ying-Kit
Wong, Ricky Ngok-Shun
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/625021
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMicroRNAs (miRNAs) are a family of non-coding RNAs that play crucial roles in regulating various normal cellular responses. Recent studies revealed that the canonical miRNA biogenesis pathway is subject to sophisticated regulation. Hormonal control of miRNA biogenesis by androgen and estrogen has been demonstrated, but the direct effects of the glucocorticoid receptor (GR) on miRNA biogenesis are unknown. This study revealed the role of GR in miRNA maturation. We showed that two GR agonists, dexamethasone and ginsenoside-Rg1 rapidly suppressed the expression of mature miR-15b, miR-23a, and miR-214 in human endothelial cells. RNA pulldown coupled with proteomic analysis identified GTPase-activating protein (SH3 domain) binding protein 1 (G3BP1) as one of the RNA-binding proteins mediating GR-regulated miRNA maturation. Activated GR induced phosphorylation of v-AKT Murine Thymoma Viral Oncogene Homologue (AKT) kinase, which in turn phosphorylated and promoted nuclear translocation of G3BP1. The nuclear G3BP1 bound to the G3BP1 consensus sequence located on primary miR-15b~16-2 and miR-23a~27a~24-2 to inhibit their maturation. The findings from this study have advanced our understanding of the non-genomic effects of GR in the vascular system.
CitationKwok H-H, Poon P-Y, Mak KH-M, Zhang L-Y, Liu P, et al. (2017) Role of G3BP1 in glucocorticoid receptor-mediated microRNA-15b and microRNA-23a biogenesis in endothelial cells. Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00018-017-2540-y.
SponsorsWe would like to thank Ms. Hoi Ki LEE for her preliminary work on this study. This work was supported by the Dr. Gilbert Hung Ginseng Laboratory Fund.
- GTPase Activating Protein (Sh3 Domain) Binding Protein 1 Regulates the Processing of MicroRNA-1 during Cardiac Hypertrophy.
- Authors: He M, Yang Z, Abdellatif M, Sayed D
- Issue date: 2015
- A GTPase-activating protein-binding protein (G3BP1)/antiviral protein relay conveys arteriosclerotic Wnt signals in aortic smooth muscle cells.
- Authors: Ramachandran B, Stabley JN, Cheng SL, Behrmann AS, Gay A, Li L, Mead M, Kozlitina J, Lemoff A, Mirzaei H, Chen Z, Towler DA
- Issue date: 2018 May 25
- G3BP1 promotes DNA binding and activation of cGAS.
- Authors: Liu ZS, Cai H, Xue W, Wang M, Xia T, Li WJ, Xing JQ, Zhao M, Huang YJ, Chen S, Wu SM, Wang X, Liu X, Pang X, Zhang ZY, Li T, Dai J, Dong F, Xia Q, Li AL, Zhou T, Liu ZG, Zhang XM, Li T
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- A G3BP1-Interacting lncRNA Promotes Ferroptosis and Apoptosis in Cancer via Nuclear Sequestration of p53.
- Authors: Mao C, Wang X, Liu Y, Wang M, Yan B, Jiang Y, Shi Y, Shen Y, Liu X, Lai W, Yang R, Xiao D, Cheng Y, Liu S, Zhou H, Cao Y, Yu W, Muegge K, Yu H, Tao Y
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 1
- Ginsenoside-Rg1 induces angiogenesis by the inverse regulation of MET tyrosine kinase receptor expression through miR-23a.
- Authors: Kwok HH, Chan LS, Poon PY, Yue PY, Wong RN
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 15