Leveraging a temperature-tunable, scale-like microstructure to produce multimodal, supersensitive sensors
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe microstructure of a flexible film plays an important role in its sensing capability. Here, we fabricate a temperature-dependent wrinkled single-walled carbon nanotube (SWCNT)/polydimethyl-siloxane (PDMS) film (WSPF) and a wrinkle-dependent scale-like SWCNT/PDMS film (SSPF) successfully, and address the formation and evolution mechanisms of each film. The low elastic modulus and high coefficient of thermal expansion of the PDMS layer combined with the excellent piezoresistive behavior of the SWCNT film motivated us to investigate how the scale-like microstructure of the SSPF could be used to design multimodal-sensing devices with outstanding capabilities. The results show that SSPFs present supersensitive performance in mechanical loading (an effective sensitivity of up to 740.7 kPa-1) and in temperature (a tunable thermal index of up to 29.9 × 103 K). These exceptional properties were demonstrated in practical applications in a programmable flexile pressure sensor, thermal/light monitor or switch, etc., and were further explained through the macroscopic and microscopic piezoresistive behaviors of scale-like SWCNT coatings.
CitationTai Y, Kanti Bera T, Yang Z, Lubineau G (2017) Leveraging a temperature-tunable, scale-like microstructure to produce multimodal, supersensitive sensors. Nanoscale. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c7nr01662j.
SponsorsWe express gratitude to the Baseline Funding from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) for financial support. This work was also partially supported by the key discipline fund of Shanghai (B117).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- A Sandwiched/Cracked Flexible Film for Multithermal Monitoring and Switching Devices.
- Authors: Tai Y, Chen T, Lubineau G
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 20
- Elastic properties of single-walled carbon nanotube thin film by nanoindentation test.
- Authors: Tang X, El-Hami A, El-Hami K, Eid M, Si C
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 12
- Highly Sensitive Wearable Pressure Sensors Based on Three-Scale Nested Wrinkling Microstructures of Polypyrrole Films.
- Authors: Yang C, Li L, Zhao J, Wang J, Xie J, Cao Y, Xue M, Lu C
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 1
- Absorption cross section and interfacial thermal conductance from an individual optically excited single-walled carbon nanotube.
- Authors: Wang D, Carlson MT, Richardson HH
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 27
- Piezoresistive Pressure Sensor Based on Synergistical Innerconnect Polyvinyl Alcohol Nanowires/Wrinkled Graphene Film.
- Authors: Liu W, Liu N, Yue Y, Rao J, Cheng F, Su J, Liu Z, Gao Y
- Issue date: 2018 Apr