Observation of Various and Spontaneous Magnetic Skyrmionic Bubbles at Room Temperature in a Frustrated Kagome Magnet with Uniaxial Magnetic Anisotropy
KAUST DepartmentImaging and Characterization Core Lab
Material Science and Engineering Program
Nanofabrication Core Lab
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Thin Films & Characterization
KAUST Grant NumberCRF-2015-2549-CRG4
Online Publication Date2017-06-07
Print Publication Date2017-08
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/624948
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe quest for materials hosting topologically protected skyrmionic spin textures continues to be fueled by the promise of novel devices. Although many materials have demonstrated the existence of such spin textures, major challenges remain to be addressed before devices based on magnetic skyrmions can be realized. For example, being able to create and manipulate skyrmionic spin textures at room temperature is of great importance for further technological applications because they can adapt to various external stimuli acting as information carriers in spintronic devices. Here, the first observation of skyrmionic magnetic bubbles with variable topological spin textures formed at room temperature in a frustrated kagome Fe3 Sn2 magnet with uniaxial magnetic anisotropy is reported. The magnetization dynamics are investigated using in situ Lorentz transmission electron microscopy, revealing that the transformation between different magnetic bubbles and domains is via the motion of Bloch lines driven by an applied external magnetic field. These results demonstrate that Fe3 Sn2 facilitates a unique magnetic control of topological spin textures at room temperature, making it a promising candidate for further skyrmion-based spintronic devices.
CitationHou Z, Ren W, Ding B, Xu G, Wang Y, et al. (2017) Observation of Various and Spontaneous Magnetic Skyrmionic Bubbles at Room Temperature in a Frustrated Kagome Magnet with Uniaxial Magnetic Anisotropy. Advanced Materials: 1701144. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.201701144.
SponsorsZ.P.H., W.J.R., and B.D. contributed equally to this work. The authors thank Jie Cui and Dr. Yuan Yao for discussions and their help in LTEM experiments. This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant nos. 11474343, 11574374, 11604148, 51471183, 51590880, 51331006, and 5161192), King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) under Award No: CRF-2015-2549-CRG4, China Postdoctoral Science Foundation No. Y6BK011M51, a project of the Chinese Academy of Sciences with Grant no. KJZD-EW-M05-3, and the Strategic Priority Research Program B of the Chinese Academy of Sciences under the Grant no. XDB07010300.
CollectionsNanofabrication Core Lab; Nanofabrication Core Lab; Articles; Imaging and Characterization Core Lab; Imaging and Characterization Core Lab; Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division; Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division; Material Science and Engineering Program; Material Science and Engineering Program
- Creation of Single Chain of Nanoscale Skyrmion Bubbles with Record-High Temperature Stability in a Geometrically Confined Nanostripe.
- Authors: Hou Z, Zhang Q, Xu G, Gong C, Ding B, Wang Y, Li H, Liu E, Xu F, Zhang H, Yao Y, Wu G, Zhang XX, Wang W
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 14
- Topological Magnetic-Spin Textures in Two-Dimensional van der Waals Cr<sub>2</sub>Ge<sub>2</sub>Te<sub>6</sub>.
- Authors: Han MG, Garlow JA, Liu Y, Zhang H, Li J, DiMarzio D, Knight MW, Petrovic C, Jariwala D, Zhu Y
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 13
- Manipulating the Topology of Nanoscale Skyrmion Bubbles by Spatially Geometric Confinement.
- Authors: Hou Z, Zhang Q, Xu G, Zhang S, Gong C, Ding B, Li H, Xu F, Yao Y, Liu E, Wu G, Zhang XX, Wang W
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 22
- Observation of Various and Spontaneous Magnetic Skyrmionic Bubbles at Room Temperature in a Frustrated Kagome Magnet with Uniaxial Magnetic Anisotropy.
- Authors: Hou Z, Ren W, Ding B, Xu G, Wang Y, Yang B, Zhang Q, Zhang Y, Liu E, Xu F, Wang W, Wu G, Zhang X, Shen B, Zhang Z
- Issue date: 2018 Feb
- Electric Field-Induced Creation and Directional Motion of Domain Walls and Skyrmion Bubbles.
- Authors: Ma C, Zhang X, Xia J, Ezawa M, Jiang W, Ono T, Piramanayagam SN, Morisako A, Zhou Y, Liu X
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 9