Switchable Diastereoselectivity in the Fluoride Promoted Vinylogous Mukaiyama-Michael Reaction of 2-Trimethylsilyloxyfuran Catalyzed by Crown Ethers
AuthorsDella Sala, Giorgio
De Riccardis, Francesco
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2017-06-13
Print Publication Date2017-07-07
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/624886
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe fluoride promoted vinylogous Mukaiyama-Michael reaction (VMMR) of 2-trimethylsilyloxyfuran with diverse α,β-unsaturated ketones is described. The TBAF catalyzed VMMR afforded high anti-diastereoselectivity irrespective of the solvents used. The KF/crown ethers catalytic systems proved to be highly efficient in terms of yields and resulted in a highly diastereoselective unprecedented solvent/catalyst switchable reaction. Anti-adducts were obtained as single diastereomers or with excellent diastereoselectivities when benzo-15-crown-5 in CH2Cl2 was employed. On the other hand, high syn-diastereoselectivities (from 76:24 to 96:4) were achieved by employing dicyclohexane-18-crown-6 in toluene. Based on DFT calculations, the catalysts/solvents-dependent switchable diastereoselectivities are proposed to be the result of loose or tight cation-dienolate ion pairs.
CitationDella Sala G, Sicignano M, Schettini R, De Riccardis F, Cavallo L, et al. (2017) Switchable Diastereoselectivity in the Fluoride Promoted Vinylogous Mukaiyama-Michael Reaction of 2-Trimethylsilyloxyfuran Catalyzed by Crown Ethers. The Journal of Organic Chemistry. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.joc.7b00743.
SponsorsFinancial support from the University of Salerno (FARB) and Regione Campania under POR Campania FESR 2007-2013 – O.O. 2.1 (Farma-BioNet). We thank Dr. Patrizia Iannece for HRMS. Gilles Hanquet and Frédéric Leroux thank the CNRS (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, France). Chloé Batisse is very grateful to the IcFRC (International Center for Frontier Research in Chemistry), grant Cyclo-CF2-ASYM. Luigi Cavallo thanks the King Abdullah University of Science and technology for supporting this work. Computing resources used within this project have been provided by the KAUST Supercomputing Laboratory and by CRESCO/ENEAGRID High Performance Computing infrastructure and its staff.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
JournalThe Journal of Organic Chemistry
- Highly diastereoselective vinylogous Mukaiyama aldol reaction of α-keto phosphonates with 2-(trimethylsilyloxy)furan catalyzed by Cu(OTf)2.
- Authors: Yu J, Zhao X, Miao Z, Chen R
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 7
- Unprecedented Diastereoselective Arylogous Michael Addition of Unactivated Phthalides.
- Authors: Sicignano M, Schettini R, Sica L, Pierri G, De Riccardis F, Izzo I, Maity B, Minenkov Y, Cavallo L, Della Sala G
- Issue date: 2019 May 23
- Diastereoselective Mukaiyama aldol reaction of 2-(trimethylsilyloxy)furan catalyzed by bismuth triflate.
- Authors: Ollevier T, Bouchard JE, Desyroy V
- Issue date: 2008 Jan 4
- BINAP/AgOTf/KF/18-crown-6 as new bifunctional catalysts for asymmetric Sakurai-Hosomi allylation and Mukaiyama aldol reaction.
- Authors: Wadamoto M, Ozasa N, Yanagisawa A, Yamamoto H
- Issue date: 2003 Jul 11
- Asymmetric Copper-Catalyzed Vinylogous Mukaiyama Michael Addition of Cyclic Dienol Silanes to Unsaturated α-Keto Phosphonates.
- Authors: Steinkamp AD, Frings M, Thomé I, Schiffers I, Bolm C
- Issue date: 2015 May 18