Spin Filtering in Epitaxial Spinel Films with Nanoscale Phase Separation
Alshareef, Husam N.
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
KAUST Supercomputing Laboratory (KSL)
KAUST Grant NumberCRF-2015-SENSORS-2709
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe coexistence of ferromagnetic metallic phase and antiferromagnetic insulating phase in nanoscaled inhomogeneous perovskite oxides accounts for the colossal magnetoresistance. Although the model of spin-polarized electron transport across antiphase boundaries has been commonly employed to account for large magnetoresistance (MR) in ferrites, the magnetic anomalies, the two magnetic phases and enhanced molecular moment, are still unresolved. We observed a sizable MR in epitaxial spinel films (NiCo2O4-δ) that is much larger than that commonly observed in spinel ferrites. Detailed analysis reveals that this MR can be attributed to phase separation, in which the perfect ferrimagnetic metallic phase and ferrimagnetic insulating phase coexist. The magnetic insulating phase plays an important role in spin filtering in these phase separated spinel oxides, leading to a sizable MR effect. A spin filtering model based on Zeeman effect and direct tunneling is developed to account for MR of the phase separated films.
CitationLi P, Xia C, Li J, Zhu Z, Wen Y, et al. (2017) Spin Filtering in Epitaxial Spinel Films with Nanoscale Phase Separation. ACS Nano 11: 5011–5019. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.7b01743.
SponsorsThe research reported in this publication was supported by funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). P.L. acknowledges the financial support of CRF-2015-SENSORS-2709 (KAUST) and SABIC postdoctoral fellowship award presented to KAUST.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Highly spin-polarized materials and devices for spintronics<sup>∗</sup>.
- Authors: Inomata K, Ikeda N, Tezuka N, Goto R, Sugimoto S, Wojcik M, Jedryka E
- Issue date: 2008 Jan
- Colossal Terahertz Magnetoresistance at Room Temperature in Epitaxial La<sub>0.7</sub>Sr<sub>0.3</sub>MnO<sub>3</sub> Nanocomposites and Single-Phase Thin Films.
- Authors: Lloyd-Hughes J, Mosley CD, Jones SP, Lees MR, Chen A, Jia QX, Choi EM, MacManus-Driscoll JL
- Issue date: 2017 Apr 12
- Giant positive magnetoresistance in half-metallic double-perovskite Sr<sub>2</sub>CrWO<sub>6</sub> thin films.
- Authors: Zhang J, Ji WJ, Xu J, Geng XY, Zhou J, Gu ZB, Yao SH, Zhang ST
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Magnetotransport Anomaly in Room-Temperature Ferrimagnetic NiCo<sub>2</sub> O<sub>4</sub> Thin Films.
- Authors: Chen X, Zhang X, Han MG, Zhang L, Zhu Y, Xu X, Hong X
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 29
- Spatially Inhomogeneous Metal-Insulator Transition in Doped Manganites.
- Authors: Fäth M, Freisem S, Menovsky AA, Tomioka Y, Aarts J, Mydosh JA
- Issue date: 1999 Sep 3