Direct observation of cation distributions of ideal inverse spinel CoFe2O4 nanofibres and correlated magnetic properties
Mellors, Nigel J
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLow-dimensional spinel ferrites have recently attracted increasing attention because their tunable magnetic properties make them attractive candidates as spin-filtering tunnel barriers in spintronic devices and as magnetic components in artificial multiferroic heterostructures. Although we know that the distribution of cations (Fe3+ and Co2+) in a spinel structure governs its magnetic properties, their distribution in the so-called ideal inverse spinel structure of a ferrite, CoFe2O4, has not yet been imaged with sub-ångstrom resolution. In this work, we fill this gap in evidence by reporting a direct observation of the distribution of cations in an ideal inverse spinel structure of CoFe2O4 nanofibres using aberration-corrected transmission electron microscopy (TEM). The ordering of Co2+ and Fe3+ at the octahedral sites imaged along either ,  or [-112] orientation was identified as 1 : 1, in accordance with the ideal inverse spinel structure. The saturation magnetisation calculated based on the crystal structure as determined from the TEM image is in good agreement with that measured experimentally on the spinel CoFe2O4 nanofibres, further confirming results from TEM.
CitationZeng X, Zhang J, Zhu S, Deng X, Ma H, et al. (2017) Direct observation of cation distributions of ideal inverse spinel CoFe2O4 nanofibres and correlated magnetic properties. Nanoscale. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c7nr02013a.
SponsorsThis work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (51571104 and 11274145), the MOST International Cooperation Funds (2014DFA91340), and the Program for Changjiang Scholars and Innovative Research Team in the University (Grant No. IRT1251).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Crystalline and magnetic structure-property relationship in spinel ferrite nanoparticles.
- Authors: Andersen HL, Saura-Múzquiz M, Granados-Miralles C, Canévet E, Lock N, Christensen M
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 9
- Sonochemical synthesis of Gd<sup>3+</sup> doped CoFe<sub>2</sub>O<sub>4</sub> spinel ferrite nanoparticles and its physical properties.
- Authors: Yadav RS, Kuřitka I, Vilcakova J, Havlica J, Kalina L, Urbánek P, Machovsky M, Skoda D, Masař M, Holek M
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Preparation of monodisperse ferrite nanocrystals with tunable morphology and magnetic properties.
- Authors: Liang R, Tian R, Liu Z, Yan D, Wei M
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Correlation between spin-orbital coupling and the superparamagnetic properties in magnetite and cobalt ferrite spinel nanocrystals.
- Authors: Song Q, Zhang ZJ
- Issue date: 2006 Jun 15
- Applications of cobalt ferrite nanoparticles in biomedical nanotechnology.
- Authors: Srinivasan SY, Paknikar KM, Bodas D, Gajbhiye V
- Issue date: 2018 May