Proctor, Christopher M.
Curto, Vincenzo F.
Donahue, Mary J.
Owens, Róisín M.
Malliaras, George G.
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/623783
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractImplantable devices offer an alternative to systemic delivery of drugs for the treatment of neurological disorders. A microfluidic ion pump (µFIP), capable of delivering a drug without the solvent through electrophoresis, is developed. The device is characterized in vitro by delivering γ-amino butyric acid to a target solution, and demonstrates low-voltage operation, high drug-delivery capacity, and high ON/OFF ratio. It is also demonstrated that the device is suitable for cortical delivery in vivo by manipulating the local ion concentration in an animal model and altering neural behavior. These results show that µFIPs represent a significant step forward toward the development of implantable drug-delivery systems.
CitationUguz I, Proctor CM, Curto VF, Pappa A-M, Donahue MJ, et al. (2017) A Microfluidic Ion Pump for In Vivo Drug Delivery. Advanced Materials: 1701217. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.201701217.
SponsorsI.U. and C.M.P. contributed equally to this work. Financial support from the Région PACA, the Whitaker Foundation, and the Fondation pour la Recherche Médicale (FRM DBS20131128446) is acknowledged. I.U. thanks Microvitae for supporting the bourse Région.
- Minimally invasive probes for programmed microfluidic delivery of molecules in vivo.
- Authors: McCall JG, Jeong JW
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Controlling epileptiform activity with organic electronic ion pumps.
- Authors: Williamson A, Rivnay J, Kergoat L, Jonsson A, Inal S, Uguz I, Ferro M, Ivanov A, Sjöström TA, Simon DT, Berggren M, Malliaras GG, Bernard C
- Issue date: 2015 May 27
- Therapy using implanted organic bioelectronics.
- Authors: Jonsson A, Song Z, Nilsson D, Meyerson BA, Simon DT, Linderoth B, Berggren M
- Issue date: 2015 May
- Chemical delivery array with millisecond neurotransmitter release.
- Authors: Jonsson A, Sjöström TA, Tybrandt K, Berggren M, Simon DT
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- The microfabricated electrokinetic pump: a potential promising drug delivery technique.
- Authors: Chen L, Choo J, Yan B
- Issue date: 2007 Mar