Hybrid Doping of Few-Layer Graphene via a Combination of Intercalation and Surface Doping
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSurface molecular doping of graphene has been shown to modify its work function and increase its conductivity. However, the associated shifts in work function and increases in carrier concentration are highly coupled and limited by the surface coverage of dopant molecules on graphene. Here we show that few-layer graphene (FLG) can be doped using a hybrid approach, effectively combining surface doping by larger (metal-)organic molecules, while smaller molecules, such as Br2 and FeCl3, intercalate into the bulk. Intercalation tunes the carrier concentration more effectively, whereas surface doping of intercalated FLG can be used to tune its work function without reducing the carrier mobility. This multi-modal doping approach yields a very high carrier density and tunable work function for FLG, demonstrating a new versatile platform for fabricating graphene-based contacts for electronic, optoelectronic and photovoltaic applications.
CitationMansour AE, Kirmani AR, Barlow S, Marder SR, Amassian A (2017) Hybrid Doping of Few-Layer Graphene via a Combination of Intercalation and Surface Doping. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.7b02886.
SponsorsThe authors acknowledge Dr. Marcel Said for the early discussion of the hybrid doping approach, Dr. Yadong Zhang for synthesis of the Mo dopant, and Mrs. Lubna Jamshaid for her logistical support. This work was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), and Department of the Navy, Office of Naval Research Award No. N00014-14-1-0126.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Bromination of Graphene: A New Route to Making High Performance Transparent Conducting Electrodes with Low Optical Losses.
- Authors: Mansour AE, Dey S, Amassian A, Tanielian MH
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 19
- Layer Number Dependence of Li(+) Intercalation on Few-Layer Graphene and Electrochemical Imaging of Its Solid-Electrolyte Interphase Evolution.
- Authors: Hui J, Burgess M, Zhang J, Rodríguez-López J
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 26
- Superconductivity at 7.4 K in few layer graphene by Li-intercalation.
- Authors: Tiwari AP, Shin S, Hwang E, Jung SG, Park T, Lee H
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 8
- Scalable production of graphene with tunable and stable doping by electrochemical intercalation and exfoliation.
- Authors: Hsieh YP, Chiang WY, Tsai SL, Hofmann M
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 7
- Vapor-phase molecular doping of graphene for high-performance transparent electrodes.
- Authors: Kim Y, Ryu J, Park M, Kim ES, Yoo JM, Park J, Kang JH, Hong BH
- Issue date: 2014 Jan 28