Methane production in an anaerobic osmotic membrane bioreactor using forward osmosis: Effect of reverse salt flux
Kyong Shon, Ho
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Water Desalination and Reuse Research Center (WDRC)
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThis study investigated the impact of reverse salt flux (RSF) on microbe community and bio-methane production in a simulated fertilizer driven FO-AnMBR system using KCl, KNO3 and KH2PO4 as draw solutes. Results showed that KH2PO4 exhibited the lowest RSF in terms of molar concentration 19.1 mM/(m2.h), while for KCl and KNO3 it was 32.2 and 120.8 mM/(m2.h), respectively. Interestingly, bio-methane production displayed an opposite order with KH2PO4, followed by KCl and KNO3. Pyrosequencing results revealed the presence of different bacterial communities among the tested fertilizers. Bacterial community of sludge exposed to KH2PO4 was very similar to that of DI-water and KCl. However, results with KNO3 were different since the denitrifying bacteria were found to have a higher percentage than the sludge with other fertilizers. This study demonstrated that RSF has a negative effect on bio-methane production, probably by influencing the sludge bacterial community via environment modification.
CitationLi S, Kim Y, Phuntsho S, Chekli L, Kyong Shon H, et al. (2017) Methane production in an anaerobic osmotic membrane bioreactor using forward osmosis: Effect of reverse salt flux. Bioresource Technology. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2017.05.044.
SponsorsThe research reported in this paper was supported from the SEED program of King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), Saudi Arabia. The help, assistance and support of the Water Desalination and Reuse Center (WDRC) at KAUST staff are greatly appreciated.
- Selection of suitable fertilizer draw solute for a novel fertilizer-drawn forward osmosis-anaerobic membrane bioreactor hybrid system.
- Authors: Kim Y, Chekli L, Shim WG, Phuntsho S, Li S, Ghaffour N, Leiknes T, Shon HK
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Influence of fertilizer draw solution properties on the process performance and microbial community structure in a side-stream anaerobic fertilizer-drawn forward osmosis - ultrafiltration bioreactor.
- Authors: Kim Y, Li S, Chekli L, Phuntsho S, Ghaffour N, Leiknes T, Shon HK
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- Modeling methane production in anaerobic forward osmosis bioreactor using a modified anaerobic digestion model No. 1.
- Authors: Song YC, Kim M, Shon H, Jegatheesan V, Kim S
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Evaluation of fertilizer-drawn forward osmosis for sustainable agriculture and water reuse in arid regions.
- Authors: Chekli L, Kim Y, Phuntsho S, Li S, Ghaffour N, Leiknes T, Shon HK
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 1
- Enhancing wastewater reuse by forward osmosis with self-diluted commercial fertilizers as draw solutes.
- Authors: Zou S, He Z
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 1