Characterization of Recombinant Thermococcus kodakaraensis (KOD) DNA Polymerases Produced Using Silkworm-Baculovirus Expression Vector System
Lee, Jae Man
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Bioscience Core Lab
Laboratory of DNA Replication and Recombination
Online Publication Date2017-05-08
Print Publication Date2017-06
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/623465
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe KOD DNA polymerase from Thermococcus kodakarensis (Tkod-Pol) has been preferred for PCR due to its rapid elongation rate, extreme thermostability and outstanding fidelity. Here in this study, we utilized silkworm-baculovirus expression vector system (silkworm-BEVS) to express the recombinant Tkod-Pol (rKOD) with N-terminal (rKOD-N) or C-terminal (rKOD-C) tandem fusion tags. By using BEVS, we produced functional rKODs with satisfactory yields, about 1.1 mg/larva for rKOD-N and 0.25 mg/larva for rKOD-C, respectively. Interestingly, we found that rKOD-C shows higher thermostability at 95 °C than that of rKOD-N, while that rKOD-N is significantly unstable after exposing to long period of heat-shock. We also assessed the polymerase activity as well as the fidelity of purified rKODs under various conditions. Compared with commercially available rKOD, which is expressed in E. coli expression system, rKOD-C exhibited almost the same PCR performance as the commercial rKOD did, while rKOD-N did lower performance. Taken together, our results suggested that silkworm-BEVS can be used to express and purify efficient rKOD in a commercial way.
CitationYamashita M, Xu J, Morokuma D, Hirata K, Hino M, et al. (2017) Characterization of Recombinant Thermococcus kodakaraensis (KOD) DNA Polymerases Produced Using Silkworm-Baculovirus Expression Vector System. Molecular Biotechnology. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s12033-017-0008-9.
SponsorsWe thank Dr. Imanishi (National Institute of Agrobiological Sciences, Japan) for providing the NIAS-Bm-oyanagi2 (BmO2) cell line.
- Expression and Characterization of the RKOD DNA Polymerase in Pichia pastoris.
- Authors: Wang F, Li S, Zhao H, Bian L, Chen L, Zhang Z, Zhong X, Ma L, Yu X
- Issue date: 2015
- Expression and Characterization of Human β-1, 4-Galactosyltransferase 1 (β4GalT1) Using Silkworm-Baculovirus Expression System.
- Authors: Morokuma D, Xu J, Hino M, Mon H, Merzaban JS, Takahashi M, Kusakabe T, Lee JM
- Issue date: 2017 May
- DNA polymerase hybrids derived from the family-B enzymes of Pyrococcus furiosus and Thermococcus kodakarensis: improving performance in the polymerase chain reaction.
- Authors: Elshawadfy AM, Keith BJ, Ee Ooi H, Kinsman T, Heslop P, Connolly BA
- Issue date: 2014
- Roles of silkworm endoplasmic reticulum chaperones in the secretion of recombinant proteins expressed by baculovirus system.
- Authors: Imai S, Kusakabe T, Xu J, Li Z, Shirai S, Mon H, Morokuma D, Lee JM
- Issue date: 2015 Nov
- Expression and Purification of Vaccinia Virus DNA Topoisomerase IB Produced in the Silkworm-Baculovirus Expression System.
- Authors: Xu J, Lee JM, Tatsuke T, Ebihara T, Masuda A, Hino M, Morokuma D, Fujita R, Mon H, Kusakabe T, Takahashi M
- Issue date: 2019 Aug