Integration of CpG-free DNA induces de novo methylation of CpG islands in pluripotent stem cells
Shokhirev, Maxim Nikolaievich
Esteban, Concepcion Rodriguez
Belmonte, Juan Carlos Izpisua
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Sciences and Engineering (BESE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/623392
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCpG islands (CGIs) are primarily promoter-associated genomic regions and are mostly unmethylated within highly methylated mammalian genomes. The mechanisms by which CGIs are protected from de novo methylation remain elusive. Here we show that insertion of CpG-free DNA into targeted CGIs induces de novo methylation of the entire CGI in human pluripotent stem cells (PSCs). The methylation status is stably maintained even after CpG-free DNA removal, extensive passaging, and differentiation. By targeting the DNA mismatch repair gene MLH1 CGI, we could generate a PSC model of a cancer-related epimutation. Furthermore, we successfully corrected aberrant imprinting in induced PSCs derived from an Angelman syndrome patient. Our results provide insights into how CpG-free DNA induces de novo CGI methylation and broaden the application of targeted epigenome editing for a better understanding of human development and disease.
CitationIntegration of CpG-free DNA induces de novo methylation of CpG islands in pluripotent stem cells 2017, 356 (6337):503 Science
SponsorsChapman Foundation. The Leona M. and Harry B. Helmsley Charitable Trust. The Moxie Foundation.
- Fundamental diversity of human CpG islands at multiple biological levels.
- Authors: Zeng J, Nagrajan HK, Yi SV
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- De Novo DNA Methylation at Imprinted Loci during Reprogramming into Naive and Primed Pluripotency.
- Authors: Yagi M, Kabata M, Ukai T, Ohta S, Tanaka A, Shimada Y, Sugimoto M, Araki K, Okita K, Woltjen K, Hochedlinger K, Yamamoto T, Yamada Y
- Issue date: 2019 May 14
- Genome-wide methylation analysis of retrocopy-associated CpG islands and their genomic environment.
- Authors: Grothaus K, Kanber D, Gellhaus A, Mikat B, Kolarova J, Siebert R, Wieczorek D, Horsthemke B
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 3
- Screening for genomic fragments that are methylated specifically in colorectal carcinoma with a methylated MLH1 promoter.
- Authors: Koinuma K, Kaneda R, Toyota M, Yamashita Y, Takada S, Choi YL, Wada T, Okada M, Konishi F, Nagai H, Mano H
- Issue date: 2005 Dec
- DNA methylation of intragenic CpG islands depends on their transcriptional activity during differentiation and disease.
- Authors: Jeziorska DM, Murray RJS, De Gobbi M, Gaentzsch R, Garrick D, Ayyub H, Chen T, Li E, Telenius J, Lynch M, Graham B, Smith AJH, Lund JN, Hughes JR, Higgs DR, Tufarelli C
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 5