Ultra-Tuning of the Rare-Earth fcu-MOF Aperture Size for Selective Molecular Exclusion of Branched Paraffins
AuthorsAssen, Ayalew Hussen Assen
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Chemical Science Program
Functional Materials Design, Discovery and Development (FMD3)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/623135
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUsing isoreticular chemistry allows the design and construction of a new rare-earth metal (RE) fcu-MOF with a suitable aperture size for practical steric adsorptive separations. The judicious choice of a relatively short organic building block, namely fumarate, to bridge the 12-connected RE hexanuclear clusters has afforded the contraction of the well-defined RE-fcu-MOF triangular window aperture, the sole access to the two interconnected octahedral and tetrahedral cages. The newly constructed RE (Y and Tb) fcu-MOF analogues display unprecedented total exclusion of branched paraffins from normal paraffins. The resultant window aperture size of about 4.7 Å, regarded as a sorbate-size cut-off, enabled a complete sieving of branched paraffins from normal paraffins. The results are supported by collective single gas and mixed gas/vapor adsorption and calorimetric studies.
CitationAssen AH, Belmabkhout Y, Adil K, Bhatt PM, Xue D-X, et al. (2015) Ultra-Tuning of the Rare-Earth fcu-MOF Aperture Size for Selective Molecular Exclusion of Branched Paraffins. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 54: 14353–14358. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/anie.201506345.
SponsorsResearch reported in this publication was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- Tunable Rare Earth fcu-MOF Platform: Access to Adsorption Kinetics Driven Gas/Vapor Separations via Pore Size Contraction.
- Authors: Xue DX, Belmabkhout Y, Shekhah O, Jiang H, Adil K, Cairns AJ, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 22
- Enhanced Separation of Butane Isomers via Defect Control in a Fumarate/Zirconium-Based Metal Organic Framework.
- Authors: Chen Z, Feng L, Liu L, Bhatt PM, Adil K, Emwas AH, Assen AH, Belmabkhout Y, Han Y, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 4
- Mixed matrix formulations with MOF molecular sieving for key energy-intensive separations.
- Authors: Liu G, Chernikova V, Liu Y, Zhang K, Belmabkhout Y, Shekhah O, Zhang C, Yi S, Eddaoudi M, Koros WJ
- Issue date: 2018 Mar
- Reticular Chemistry and the Discovery of a New Family of Rare Earth (4, 8)-Connected Metal-Organic Frameworks with csq Topology Based on RE<sub>4</sub>(μ<sub>3</sub>-O)<sub>2</sub>(COO)<sub>8</sub> Clusters.
- Authors: Angeli GK, Sartsidou C, Vlachaki S, Spanopoulos I, Tsangarakis C, Kourtellaris A, Klontzas E, Froudakis GE, Tasiopoulos A, Trikalitis PN
- Issue date: 2017 Dec 27
- Topology meets MOF chemistry for pore-aperture fine tuning: ftw-MOF platform for energy-efficient separations via adsorption kinetics or molecular sieving.
- Authors: Xue DX, Cadiau A, Weseliński ŁJ, Jiang H, Bhatt PM, Shkurenko A, Wojtas L, Chen Z, Belmabkhout Y, Adil K, Eddaoudi M
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 14