Tungsten(VI) Carbyne/Bis(carbene) Tautomerization Enabled by N-Donor SBA15 Surface Ligands: A Solid-State NMR and DFT Study
Anjum, Dalaver H.
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
KAUST Grant NumberCRG_R2_13_BASS_KAUST_1
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/622965
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDesigning supported well-defined bis(carbene) complexes remains a key challenge in heterogeneous catalysis. The reaction of W(CtBu)(CH(2)tBu)(3) with amine-modified mesoporous SBA15 silica, which has vicinal silanol/silylamine pairs [(SiOH)(SiNH2)], leads to [(SiNH2-)(SiO-)W(CHtBu)(CH(2)tBu)(2)] and [(SiNH2-)(SiO-)W(=CHtBu)(2)(CH(2)tBu). Variable temperature, H-1-H-1 2D double-quantum, H-1-C-13 HETCOR, and HETCOR with spin diffusion solid-state NMR spectroscopy demonstrate tautomerization between the alkyl alkylidyne and the bis(alkylidene) on the SBA15 surface. Such equilibrium is possible through the coordination of W to the surface [(Si-OH)(Si-NH2)] groups, which act as a [N,O] pincer ligand. DFT calculations provide a rationalization for the surface-complex tautomerization and support the experimental results. This direct observation of such a process shows the strong similarity between molecular mechanisms in homogeneous and heterogeneous catalysis. In propane metathesis (at 150 degrees C), the tungsten bis(carbene) tautomer is favorable, with a turnover number (TON) of 262. It is the highest TON among all the tungsten alkyl-supported catalysts.
CitationBendjeriou-Sedjerari A, Sofack-Kreutzer J, Minenkov Y, Abou-Hamad E, Hamzaoui B, et al. (2016) Tungsten(VI) Carbyne/Bis(carbene) Tautomerization Enabled by N-Donor SBA15 Surface Ligands: A Solid-State NMR and DFT Study. Angewandte Chemie International Edition 55: 11162–11166. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/anie.201605934.
SponsorsThis work received support from the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) under Award No. CRG_R2_13_BASS_KAUST_1.
- Bipodal surface organometallic complexes with surface N-donor ligands and application to the catalytic cleavage of C-H and C-C bonds in n-butane.
- Authors: Bendjeriou-Sedjerari A, Azzi JM, Abou-Hamad E, Anjum DH, Pasha FA, Huang KW, Emsley L, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 27
- A new ONO(3-) trianionic pincer ligand with intermediate flexibility and its tungsten alkylidene and alkylidyne complexes.
- Authors: VenkatRamani S, Ghiviriga I, Abboud KA, Veige AS
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 14
- CO2 activation through silylimido and silylamido zirconium hydrides supported on N-donor chelating SBA15 surface ligands.
- Authors: Pasha FA, Bendjeriou-Sedjerari A, Abou-Hamad E, Huang KW, Basset JM
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 11
- Cationic Silica-Supported N-Heterocyclic Carbene Tungsten Oxo Alkylidene Sites: Highly Active and Stable Catalysts for Olefin Metathesis.
- Authors: Pucino M, Mougel V, Schowner R, Fedorov A, Buchmeiser MR, Copéret C
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 18
- Metal fragment isomerisation upon grafting a d(2) ML4 perhydrocarbyl Os complex on a silica surface: origin and consequence.
- Authors: Berthoud R, Rendón N, Blanc F, Solans-Monfort X, Copéret C, Eisenstein O
- Issue date: 2009 Aug 14