Syntheses and applications of periodic mesoporous organosilica nanoparticles
AuthorsCroissant, Jonas G.
Wong Chi Man, Michel
Khashab, Niveen M.
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Chemical Science Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Smart Hybrid Materials (SHMs) lab
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/622478
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPeriodic Mesoporous Organosilica (PMO) nanomaterials are envisioned to be one of the most prolific subjects of research in the next decade. Similar to mesoporous silica nanoparticles (MSN), PMO nanoparticles (NPs) prepared from organo-bridged alkoxysilanes have tunable mesopores that could be utilized for many applications such as gas and molecule adsorption, catalysis, drug and gene delivery, electronics, and sensing; but unlike MSN, the diversity in chemical nature of the pore walls of such nanomaterials is theoretically unlimited. Thus, we expect that PMO NPs will attract considerable interest over the next decade. In this review, we will present a comprehensive overview of the synthetic strategies for the preparation of nanoscaled PMO materials, and then describe their applications in catalysis and nanomedicine. The remarkable assets of the PMO structure are also detailed, and insights are provided for the preparation of more complex PMO nanoplatforms.
CitationCroissant JG, Cattoën X, Wong Chi Man M, Durand J-O, Khashab NM (2015) Syntheses and applications of periodic mesoporous organosilica nanoparticles. Nanoscale 7: 20318–20334. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c5nr05649g.
SponsorsThis work was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Mesoporous silica nanoparticles with organo-bridged silsesquioxane framework as innovative platforms for bioimaging and therapeutic agent delivery.
- Authors: Du X, Li X, Xiong L, Zhang X, Kleitz F, Qiao SZ
- Issue date: 2016 Jun
- Periodic Mesoporous Organosilica Nanoparticles with Controlled Morphologies and High Drug/Dye Loadings for Multicargo Delivery in Cancer Cells.
- Authors: Croissant JG, Fatieiev Y, Omar H, Anjum DH, Gurinov A, Lu J, Tamanoi F, Zink JI, Khashab NM
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 4
- Cellular Internalization and Biocompatibility of Periodic Mesoporous Organosilica Nanoparticles with Tunable Morphologies: From Nanospheres to Nanowires.
- Authors: Fatieiev Y, Croissant JG, Alamoudi K, Khashab NM
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Mesoporous Organosilica Hollow Nanoparticles: Synthesis and Applications.
- Authors: Teng Z, Li W, Tang Y, Elzatahry A, Lu G, Zhao D
- Issue date: 2019 Sep
- Tunable Intracellular Degradable Periodic Mesoporous Organosilica Hybrid Nanoparticles for Doxorubicin Drug Delivery in Cancer Cells.
- Authors: Rao KM, Parambadath S, Kumar A, Ha CS, Han SS
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 8