Strain and Ferroelectric-Field Effects Co-mediated Magnetism in (011)-CoFe2O4/Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)0.7Ti0.3O3Multiferroic Heterostructures
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractElectric-field mediated magnetism was investigated in CoFe2O4 (CFO, deposited by reactive cosputtering under different Oxygen flow rates) films fabricated on (011)-Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)(0.7)Ti0.3O3 (PMN-PT) substrates. Ascribed to the volatile strain effect of PMN-PT, the magnetization of the CFO films decreases along the [01-1] direction whereas it increases along the  direction under the electric field, which is attributed to the octahedron distortion in the spinel ferrite. Moreover, a nonvolatile mediation was obtained in the CFO film with low oxygen flow rate (4 sccm), deriving from the ferroelectric-field effect, in which the magnetization is different after removing the positive and negative fields. The cooperation of the two effects produces four different magnetization states in the CFO film with low oxygen flow rate (4 sccm), compared to the only two different states in the CFO film with high oxygen flow rate (10 sccm). It is suggested that the ferroelectric-field effect is related to the oxygen vacancies in CFO films.
CitationWang P, Jin C, Zheng D, Li D, Gong J, et al. (2016) Strain and Ferroelectric-Field Effects Co-mediated Magnetism in (011)-CoFe2O4/Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)0.7Ti0.3O3Multiferroic Heterostructures. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 8: 24198–24204. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.6b07584.
SponsorsC.J. would like to acknowledge the support of the National Natural Science Foundation of China (11304221 and 11434006) and Natural Science Foundation of Tianjin City (13JCZDJC32800).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Strain-Mediated Coexistence of Volatile and Nonvolatile Converse Magnetoelectric Effects in Fe/Pb(Mg<sub>1/3</sub>Nb<sub>2/3</sub>)<sub>0.7</sub>Ti<sub>0.3</sub>O<sub>3</sub> Heterostructure.
- Authors: Zhang S, Chen Q, Liu Y, Chen A, Yang L, Li P, Ming ZS, Yu Y, Sun W, Zhang X, Zhao Y, Sun Y, Zhao Y
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 21
- Charge-assisted non-volatile magnetoelectric effects in NiFe<sub>2</sub>O<sub>4</sub>/PMN-PT heterostructures.
- Authors: Pang X, Jin C, Gao G, Li D, Zheng D, Bai H
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 12
- Electric-Field Control of Magnetism in Co40Fe40B20/(1-x)Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)O3-xPbTiO3 Multiferroic Heterostructures with Different Ferroelectric Phases.
- Authors: Liu Y, Zhao Y, Li P, Zhang S, Li D, Wu H, Chen A, Xu Y, Han XF, Li S, Lin D, Luo H
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 17
- Electric field mediated non-volatile tuning magnetism at the single-crystalline Fe/Pb(Mg1/3Nb2/3)0.7Ti0.3O3 interface.
- Authors: Zhang C, Wang F, Dong C, Gao C, Jia C, Jiang C, Xue D
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 7
- Spatially Resolved Ferroelectric Domain-Switching-Controlled Magnetism in Co<sub>40</sub>Fe<sub>40</sub>B<sub>20</sub>/Pb(Mg<sub>1/3</sub>Nb<sub>2/3</sub>)<sub>0.7</sub>Ti<sub>0.3</sub>O<sub>3</sub> Multiferroic Heterostructure.
- Authors: Li P, Zhao Y, Zhang S, Chen A, Li D, Ma J, Liu Y, Pierce DT, Unguris J, Piao HG, Zhang H, Zhu M, Zhang X, Han X, Pan M, Nan CW
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 25