Packaging Glass with a Hierarchically Nanostructured Surface: A Universal Method to Achieve Self-Cleaning Omnidirectional Solar Cells
KAUST DepartmentElectrical Engineering Program
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFused-silica packaging glass fabricated with a hierarchical structure by integrating small (ultrathin nanorods) and large (honeycomb nanowalls) structures was demonstrated with exceptional light-harvesting solar performance, which is attributed to the subwavelength feature of the nanorods and an efficient scattering ability of the honeycomb nanowalls. Si solar cells covered with the hierarchically structured packaging glass exhibit enhanced conversion efficiency by 5.2% at normal incidence, and the enhancement went up to 46% at the incident angle of 60°. The hierarchical structured packaging glass shows excellent self-cleaning characteristics: 98.8% of the efficiency is maintained after 6 weeks of outdoor exposure, indicating that the nanostructured surface effectively repels polluting dust/particles. The presented self-cleaning omnidirectional light-harvesting design using the hierarchical structured packaging glass is a potential universal scheme for practical solar applications.
CitationLin C-A, Tsai M-L, Wei W-R, Lai K-Y, He J-H (2016) Packaging Glass with a Hierarchically Nanostructured Surface: A Universal Method to Achieve Self-Cleaning Omnidirectional Solar Cells. ACS Nano 10: 549–555. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.5b05564.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- An efficient broadband and omnidirectional light-harvesting scheme employing a hierarchical structure based on a ZnO nanorod/Si3N4-coated Si microgroove on 5-inch single crystalline Si solar cells.
- Authors: Lin CA, Lai KY, Lien WC, He JH
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 21
- Realizing omnidirectional light harvesting by employing hierarchical architecture for dye sensitized solar cells.
- Authors: Hsieh MY, Lai FI, Chen WC, Hsieh MC, Hu HY, Yu P, Kuo HC, Kuo SY
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 14
- Realizing high-efficiency omnidirectional n-type Si solar cells via the hierarchical architecture concept with radial junctions.
- Authors: Wang HP, Lin TY, Hsu CW, Tsai ML, Huang CH, Wei WR, Huang MY, Chien YJ, Yang PC, Liu CW, Chou LJ, He JH
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 22
- Above-11%-efficiency organic-inorganic hybrid solar cells with omnidirectional harvesting characteristics by employing hierarchical photon-trapping structures.
- Authors: Wei WR, Tsai ML, Ho ST, Tai SH, Ho CR, Tsai SH, Liu CW, Chung RJ, He JH
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 14
- Toward efficient and omnidirectional n-type Si solar cells: concurrent improvement in optical and electrical characteristics by employing microscale hierarchical structures.
- Authors: Wang HP, Lin TY, Tsai ML, Tu WC, Huang MY, Liu CW, Chueh YL, He JH
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 25