Metal-Free Alternating Copolymerization of CO2with Epoxides: Fulfilling “Green” Synthesis and Activity
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Polymer Synthesis Laboratory
Online Publication Date2016-08-26
Print Publication Date2016-09-07
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/622428
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPolycarbonates were successfully synthesized for the first time through the anionic copolymerization of epoxides with CO2, under metal-free conditions. Using an approach based on the activation of epoxides by Lewis acids and of CO, by appropriate cations, well-defined alternating copolymers made of CO, and propylene oxide (PO) or cyclohexene oxide (CHO) were indeed obtained. Triethyl borane was the Lewis acid chosen to activate the epoxides, and onium halides or onium alkoxides involving either ammonium, phosphonium, or phosphazenium cations were selected to initiate the copolymerization. In the case of PO, the carbonate content of the poly(propylene carbonate) formed was in the range of 92-99% and turnover numbers (TON) were close to 500; in the case of CHO perfectly alternating poly(cyclohexene carbonate) were obtained and TON values were close to 4000. The advantages of such a copolymerization system are manifold: (i) no need for multistep catalyst/ligand synthesis as in previous works; (ii) no transition metal involved in the copolymer synthesis and therefore no coloration of the samples isolated; and (iii) no necessity for postsynthesis purification.
CitationZhang D, Boopathi SK, Hadjichristidis N, Gnanou Y, Feng X (2016) Metal-Free Alternating Copolymerization of CO2with Epoxides: Fulfilling “Green” Synthesis and Activity. Journal of the American Chemical Society 138: 11117–11120. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jacs.6b06679.
SponsorsKing Abdullah University of Science and Technology
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- CO2 copolymers from epoxides: catalyst activity, product selectivity, and stereochemistry control.
- Authors: Lu XB, Ren WM, Wu GP
- Issue date: 2012 Oct 16
- Monomodal Ultrahigh-Molar-Mass Polycarbonate Homopolymers and Diblock Copolymers by Anionic Copolymerization of Epoxides with CO(2).
- Authors: Jia M, Hadjichristidis N, Gnanou Y, Feng X
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 17
- Perfectly Alternating and Regioselective Copolymerization of Carbonyl Sulfide and Epoxides by Metal-Free Lewis Pairs.
- Authors: Yang JL, Wu HL, Li Y, Zhang XH, Darensbourg DJ
- Issue date: 2017 May 15
- Perfectly alternating copolymerization of CO2 and epichlorohydrin using cobalt(III)-based catalyst systems.
- Authors: Wu GP, Wei SH, Ren WM, Lu XB, Xu TQ, Darensbourg DJ
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 28
- Alternating Copolymerization of Carbon Dioxide with Epoxides Using Highly Active Dinuclear Nickel Complexes: Catalysis and Kinetics.
- Authors: Su YC, Ko BT
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 18