Enhanced ZnO Thin-Film Transistor Performance Using Bilayer Gate Dielectrics
KAUST DepartmentFunctional Nanomaterials and Devices Research Group
Material Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2016-08-25
Print Publication Date2016-09-07
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/622399
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report ZnO TFTs using Al2O3/Ta2O5 bilayer gate dielectrics grown by atomic layer deposition. The saturation mobility of single layer Ta2O5 dielectric TFT was 0.1 cm2 V-1 s-1, but increased to 13.3 cm2 V-1 s-1 using Al2O3/Ta2O5 bilayer dielectric with significantly lower leakage current and hysteresis. We show that point defects present in ZnO film, particularly VZn, are the main reason for the poor TFT performance with single layer dielectric, although interfacial roughness scattering effects cannot be ruled out. Our approach combines the high dielectric constant of Ta2O5 and the excellent Al2O3/ZnO interface quality, resulting in improved device performance. © 2016 American Chemical Society.
CitationAlshammari FH, Nayak PK, Wang Z, Alshareef HN (2016) Enhanced ZnO Thin-Film Transistor Performance Using Bilayer Gate Dielectrics. ACS Applied Materials & Interfaces 8: 22751–22755. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsami.6b06498.
SponsorsResearch reported in this publication was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). The authors thank the staff of the Nanofabrication Facility and imaging and characterization at KAUST, particularly Ahad Syed and Nimer Wehbe, for their excellent support.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- High-Mobility and Hysteresis-Free Flexible Oxide Thin-Film Transistors and Circuits by Using Bilayer Sol-Gel Gate Dielectrics.
- Authors: Jo JW, Kim KH, Kim J, Ban SG, Kim YH, Park SK
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 24
- Remarkable Stability Improvement of ZnO TFT with Al<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub> Gate Insulator by Yttrium Passivation with Spray Pyrolysis.
- Authors: Saha JK, Bukke RN, Mude NN, Jang J
- Issue date: 2020 May 19
- ZnO-based thin film transistors employing aluminum titanate gate dielectrics deposited by spray pyrolysis at ambient air.
- Authors: Afouxenidis D, Mazzocco R, Vourlias G, Livesley PJ, Krier A, Milne WI, Kolosov O, Adamopoulos G
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 8
- A mixed solution-processed gate dielectric for zinc-tin oxide thin-film transistor and its MIS capacitance.
- Authors: Kim H, Kwack YJ, Yun EJ, Choi WS
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 19
- Stable and High-Performance Flexible ZnO Thin-Film Transistors by Atomic Layer Deposition.
- Authors: Lin YY, Hsu CC, Tseng MH, Shyue JJ, Tsai FY
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 14