Probing Critical Point Energies of Transition Metal Dichalcogenides: Surprising Indirect Gap of Single Layer WSe 2
Mende, Patrick C.
Feenstra, Randall M.
Shih, Chih Kang
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-09-25
Print Publication Date2015-10-14
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/622358
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBy using a comprehensive form of scanning tunneling spectroscopy, we have revealed detailed quasi-particle electronic structures in transition metal dichalcogenides, including the quasi-particle gaps, critical point energy locations, and their origins in the Brillouin zones. We show that single layer WSe surprisingly has an indirect quasi-particle gap with the conduction band minimum located at the Q-point (instead of K), albeit the two states are nearly degenerate. We have further observed rich quasi-particle electronic structures of transition metal dichalcogenides as a function of atomic structures and spin-orbit couplings. Such a local probe for detailed electronic structures in conduction and valence bands will be ideal to investigate how electronic structures of transition metal dichalcogenides are influenced by variations of local environment.
CitationZhang C, Chen Y, Johnson A, Li M-Y, Li L-J, et al. (2015) Probing Critical Point Energies of Transition Metal Dichalcogenides: Surprising Indirect Gap of Single Layer WSe2. Nano Letters 15: 6494–6500. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b01968.
SponsorsThis research was supported with grants from the Welch Foundation (F-1672), and the U.S. National Science Foundation (DMR-1306878 and DMR-1205275). L.J.L. thanks the support from Academia Sinica Taiwan, AOARD-134137 U.S.A. and KAUST, Saudi Arabia. C.K.S also thanks the partially supported by the NT 3.0 Program, Ministry of Education, Taiwan for a visitng professorship at the National Tsing-Hua University. We also thank useful discussions with Professor Wang Yao of Hong Kong University.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Probing the Spin-Polarized Electronic Band Structure in Monolayer Transition Metal Dichalcogenides by Optical Spectroscopy.
- Authors: Wang Z, Zhao L, Mak KF, Shan J
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 8
- Degenerate n-doping of few-layer transition metal dichalcogenides by potassium.
- Authors: Fang H, Tosun M, Seol G, Chang TC, Takei K, Guo J, Javey A
- Issue date: 2013 May 8
- Excited Biexcitons in Transition Metal Dichalcogenides.
- Authors: Zhang DK, Kidd DW, Varga K
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 14
- Electronic Structure, Surface Doping, and Optical Response in Epitaxial WSe2 Thin Films.
- Authors: Zhang Y, Ugeda MM, Jin C, Shi SF, Bradley AJ, Martín-Recio A, Ryu H, Kim J, Tang S, Kim Y, Zhou B, Hwang C, Chen Y, Wang F, Crommie MF, Hussain Z, Shen ZX, Mo SK
- Issue date: 2016 Apr 13
- Transition metal chalcogenides: ultrathin inorganic materials with tunable electronic properties.
- Authors: Heine T
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 20