Spin orbit torques and Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction in dual-interfaced Co-Ni multilayers
Besbas, Jean Mourad
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Spintronics Theory Group
Online Publication Date2016-09-07
Print Publication Date2016-12
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/622015
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe study the spin orbit torque (SOT) and Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction (DMI) in the dual-interfaced Co-Ni perpendicular multilayers. Through the combination of top and bottom layer materials (Pt, Ta, MgO and Cu), SOT and DMI are efficiently manipulated due to an enhancement or cancellation of the top and bottom contributions. However, SOT is found to originate mostly from the bulk of a heavy metal (HM), while DMI is more of interfacial origin. In addition, we find that the direction of the domain wall (DW) motion can be either along or against the electron flow depending on the DW tilting angle when there is a large DMI. Such an abnormal DW motion induces a large assist field required for hysteretic magnetization reversal. Our results provide insight into the role of DMI in SOT driven magnetization switching, and demonstrate the feasibility of achieving desirable SOT and DMI for spintronic devices.
CitationYu J, Qiu X, Wu Y, Yoon J, Deorani P, et al. (2016) Spin orbit torques and Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction in dual-interfaced Co-Ni multilayers. Scientific Reports 6: 32629. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/srep32629.
SponsorsThis research was supported by the National Research Foundation (NRF), Prime Minister's Office, Singapore, under its Competitive Research Programme (CRP award no. NRFCRP12-2013-01). A.M. was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). H.Y. is a member of the Singapore Spintronics Consortium (SG-SPIN).
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. The images or other third party material in this article are included in the article’s Creative Commons license, unless indicated otherwise in the credit line; if the material is not included under the Creative Commons license, users will need to obtain permission from the license holder to reproduce the material. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/
- Influence of rare earth metal Ho on the interfacial Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya interaction and spin torque efficiency in Pt/Co/Ho multilayers.
- Authors: Liu L, Zhao X, Liu W, Song Y, Zhao X, Zhang Z
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 18
- Interplay between Spin-Orbit Torques and Dzyaloshinskii-Moriya Interactions in Ferrimagnetic Amorphous Alloys.
- Authors: Quessab Y, Xu JW, Morshed MG, Ghosh AW, Kent AD
- Issue date: 2021 Sep
- Current-Induced Domain Wall Motion and Tilting in Perpendicularly Magnetized Racetracks.
- Authors: Li D, Cui B, Yun J, Chen M, Guo X, Wu K, Zhang X, Wang Y, Mao J, Zuo Y, Wang J, Xi L
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 15
- Universal chiral-triggered magnetization switching in confined nanodots.
- Authors: Martinez E, Torres L, Perez N, Hernandez MA, Raposo V, Moretti S
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 10
- Spin orbit torques induced magnetization reversal through asymmetric domain wall propagation in Ta/CoFeB/MgO structures.
- Authors: Cao J, Chen Y, Jin T, Gan W, Wang Y, Zheng Y, Lv H, Cardoso S, Wei D, Lew WS
- Issue date: 2018 Jan 22