Unusual NHC-Iridium(I) Complexes and Their Use in the Intramolecular Hydroamination of Unactivated Aminoalkenes
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/621715
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractN-heterocyclic carbene (NHC) ligands with naphthyl side chains were employed for the synthesis of unsaturated, yet isolable [(NHC)Ir(cod)]+ (cod=1,5-cyclooctadiene) complexes. These compounds are stabilised by an interaction of the aromatic wingtip that leads to a sideways tilt of the NHC-Ir bond. Detailed studies show how the tilting of such N-heterocyclic carbenes affects the electronic shielding properties of the carbene carbon atom and how this is reflected by significant upfield shifts in the 13CNMR signals. When employed in the intramolecular hydroamination, these [(NHC)Ir(cod)]+ species show very high catalytic activity under mild reaction conditions. An enantiopure version of the catalyst system produces pyrrolidines with excellent enantioselectivities. © 2016 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationSipos G, Ou A, Skelton BW, Falivene L, Cavallo L, et al. (2016) Unusual NHC-Iridium(I) Complexes and Their Use in the Intramolecular Hydroamination of Unactivated Aminoalkenes. Chem Eur J 22: 6939–6946. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/chem.201600378.
SponsorsG.S. thanks the UWA for an International Postgraduate Research Scholarship. R.D. thanks the Australian Research Council for generous funding (FT130101713). The Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation & Analysis at the UWA is thanked for providing facilities and assistance. L. C. thanks the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology for financial support.
JournalChemistry - A European Journal
- Synthesis, characterization and catalytic activity of saturated and unsaturated N-heterocyclic carbene iridium(i) complexes.
- Authors: Chang YH, Fu CF, Liu YH, Peng SM, Chen JT, Liu ST
- Issue date: 2009 Feb 7
- Iridium(I) complexes with anionic N-heterocyclic carbene ligands as catalysts for the hydrogenation of alkenes in nonpolar media.
- Authors: Kolychev EL, Kronig S, Brandhorst K, Freytag M, Jones PG, Tamm M
- Issue date: 2013 Aug 21
- Triptycene-Based Chiral and meso-N-Heterocyclic Carbene Ligands and Metal Complexes.
- Authors: Savka R, Bergmann M, Kanai Y, Foro S, Plenio H
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 4
- Oxidation and β-Alkylation of Alcohols Catalysed by Iridium(I) Complexes with Functionalised N-Heterocyclic Carbene Ligands.
- Authors: Jiménez MV, Fernández-Tornos J, Modrego FJ, Pérez-Torrente JJ, Oro LA
- Issue date: 2015 Dec 1
- Iridium(I) N-heterocyclic carbene complexes of benzimidazol-2-ylidene: effect of electron donating groups on the catalytic transfer hydrogenation reaction.
- Authors: Gülcemal S, Gökçe AG, Çetinkaya B
- Issue date: 2013 May 28