Insights into the Halogen Oxidative Addition Reaction to Dinuclear Gold(I) Di(NHC) Complexes
Isse, Abdirisak Ahmed
KAUST DepartmentKAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/621680
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGold(I) dicarbene complexes [Au2(MeIm-Y-ImMe)2](PF6)2(Y=CH2(1), (CH2)2(2), (CH2)4(4), MeIm=1-methylimidazol-2-ylidene) react with iodine to give the mixed-valence complex [Au(MeIm-CH2-ImMe)2AuI2](PF6)2(1 aI) and the gold(III) complexes [Au2I4(MeIm-Y-ImMe)2](PF6)2(2 cIand 4 cI). Reaction of complexes 1 and 2 with an excess of ICl allows the isolation of the tetrachloro gold(III) complexes [Au2Cl4(MeIm-CH2-ImMe)2](PF6)2(1 cCl) and [Au2Cl4(MeIm-(CH2)2-ImMe)2](Cl)2(2 cCl-Cl) (as main product); remarkably in the case of complex 2, the X-ray molecular structure of the crystals also shows the presence of I-Au-Cl mixed-sphere coordination. The same type of coordination has been observed in the main product of the reaction of complexes 3 or 4 with ICl. The study of the reactivity towards the oxidative addition of halogens to a large series of dinuclear bis(dicarbene) gold(I) complexes has been extended and reviewed. The complexes react with Cl2, Br2and I2to give the successive formation of the mixed-valence gold(I)/gold(III) n aXand gold(III) n cX(excluding compound 1 cI) complexes. However, complex 3 affords with Cl2and Br2the gold(II) complex 3 bX[Au2X2(MeIm-(CH2)3-ImMe)2](PF6)2(X=Cl, Br), which is the predominant species over compound 3 cXeven in the presence of free halogen. The observed different relative stabilities of the oxidised complexes of compounds 1 and 3 have also been confirmed by DFT calculations. © 2016 Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationBaron M, Tubaro C, Basato M, Isse AA, Gennaro A, et al. (2016) Insights into the Halogen Oxidative Addition Reaction to Dinuclear Gold(I) Di(NHC) Complexes. Chem Eur J 22: 10211–10224. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/chem.201600654.
SponsorsThe University of Padova is gratefully acknowledged for financial support (CPDA20140431 and Assegno di Ricerca Junior CPDR135205).
JournalChemistry - A European Journal
- Mono- and dinuclear Ag(I), Au(I), and Au(III) metallamacrocycles containing N-heterocyclic dicarbene ligands.
- Authors: Gil-Rubio J, Cámara V, Bautista D, Vicente J
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 1
- Oxidative addition of small molecules to a dinuclear Au(I) amidinate complex, Au2[(2,6-Me2Ph)2N2CH]2. Syntheses and characterization of Au(II) amidinate complexes including one which possesses Au(II)-oxygen bonds.
- Authors: Abdou HE, Mohamed AA, Fackler JP Jr
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 12
- Synthesis and interconversions of digold(I), tetragold(I), digold(II), gold(I)-gold(III) and digold(III) complexes of fluorine-substituted aryl carbanions.
- Authors: Bennett MA, Bhargava SK, Mirzadeh N, Privér SH, Wagler J, Willis AC
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 28
- Metal complexes with di(N-heterocyclic carbene) ligands bearing a rigid ortho-, meta or para-phenylene bridge.
- Authors: Monticelli M, Tubaro C, Baron M, Basato M, Sgarbossa P, Graiff C, Accorsi G, Pell TP, Wilson DJ, Barnard PJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 21
- Zwitterionic Rhodium and Iridium Complexes Based on a Carboxylate Bridge-Functionalized Bis-N-heterocyclic Carbene Ligand: Synthesis, Structure, Dynamic Behavior, and Reactivity.
- Authors: Puerta-Oteo R, Jiménez MV, Lahoz FJ, Modrego FJ, Passarelli V, Pérez-Torrente JJ
- Issue date: 2018 May 7