Insights into the Halogen Oxidative Addition Reaction to Dinuclear Gold(I) Di(NHC) Complexes
Isse, Abdirisak Ahmed
KAUST DepartmentChemical Science Program
KAUST Catalysis Center (KCC)
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/621680
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractGold(I) dicarbene complexes [Au2(MeIm-Y-ImMe)2](PF6)2(Y=CH2(1), (CH2)2(2), (CH2)4(4), MeIm=1-methylimidazol-2-ylidene) react with iodine to give the mixed-valence complex [Au(MeIm-CH2-ImMe)2AuI2](PF6)2(1 aI) and the gold(III) complexes [Au2I4(MeIm-Y-ImMe)2](PF6)2(2 cIand 4 cI). Reaction of complexes 1 and 2 with an excess of ICl allows the isolation of the tetrachloro gold(III) complexes [Au2Cl4(MeIm-CH2-ImMe)2](PF6)2(1 cCl) and [Au2Cl4(MeIm-(CH2)2-ImMe)2](Cl)2(2 cCl-Cl) (as main product); remarkably in the case of complex 2, the X-ray molecular structure of the crystals also shows the presence of I-Au-Cl mixed-sphere coordination. The same type of coordination has been observed in the main product of the reaction of complexes 3 or 4 with ICl. The study of the reactivity towards the oxidative addition of halogens to a large series of dinuclear bis(dicarbene) gold(I) complexes has been extended and reviewed. The complexes react with Cl2, Br2and I2to give the successive formation of the mixed-valence gold(I)/gold(III) n aXand gold(III) n cX(excluding compound 1 cI) complexes. However, complex 3 affords with Cl2and Br2the gold(II) complex 3 bX[Au2X2(MeIm-(CH2)3-ImMe)2](PF6)2(X=Cl, Br), which is the predominant species over compound 3 cXeven in the presence of free halogen. The observed different relative stabilities of the oxidised complexes of compounds 1 and 3 have also been confirmed by DFT calculations. © 2016 Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationBaron M, Tubaro C, Basato M, Isse AA, Gennaro A, et al. (2016) Insights into the Halogen Oxidative Addition Reaction to Dinuclear Gold(I) Di(NHC) Complexes. Chem Eur J 22: 10211–10224. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/chem.201600654.
SponsorsThe University of Padova is gratefully acknowledged for financial support (CPDA20140431 and Assegno di Ricerca Junior CPDR135205).
JournalChemistry - A European Journal
- Mono- and dinuclear Ag(I), Au(I), and Au(III) metallamacrocycles containing N-heterocyclic dicarbene ligands.
- Authors: Gil-Rubio J, Cámara V, Bautista D, Vicente J
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 1
- Oxidative addition of small molecules to a dinuclear Au(I) amidinate complex, Au2[(2,6-Me2Ph)2N2CH]2. Syntheses and characterization of Au(II) amidinate complexes including one which possesses Au(II)-oxygen bonds.
- Authors: Abdou HE, Mohamed AA, Fackler JP Jr
- Issue date: 2007 Nov 12
- Synthesis and interconversions of digold(I), tetragold(I), digold(II), gold(I)-gold(III) and digold(III) complexes of fluorine-substituted aryl carbanions.
- Authors: Bennett MA, Bhargava SK, Mirzadeh N, Privér SH, Wagler J, Willis AC
- Issue date: 2009 Sep 28
- Metal complexes with di(N-heterocyclic carbene) ligands bearing a rigid ortho-, meta or para-phenylene bridge.
- Authors: Monticelli M, Tubaro C, Baron M, Basato M, Sgarbossa P, Graiff C, Accorsi G, Pell TP, Wilson DJ, Barnard PJ
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 21
- Zwitterionic Rhodium and Iridium Complexes Based on a Carboxylate Bridge-Functionalized Bis-N-heterocyclic Carbene Ligand: Synthesis, Structure, Dynamic Behavior, and Reactivity.
- Authors: Puerta-Oteo R, Jiménez MV, Lahoz FJ, Modrego FJ, Passarelli V, Pérez-Torrente JJ
- Issue date: 2018 May 7