Unravelling Thiol’s Role in Directing Asymmetric Growth of Au Nanorod–Au Nanoparticle Dimers
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Applied Mathematics and Computational Science Program
Electrical Engineering Program
PRIMALIGHT Research Group
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/621670
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAsymmetric nanocrystals have practical significance in nanotechnologies but present fundamental synthetic challenges. Thiol ligands have proven effective in breaking the symmetric growth of metallic nanocrystals but their exact roles in the synthesis remain elusive. Here, we synthesized an unprecedented Au nanorod-Au nanoparticle (AuNR-AuNP) dimer structure with the assistance of a thiol ligand. On the basis of our experimental observations, we unraveled for the first time that the thiol could cause an inhomogeneous distribution of surface strains on the seed crystals as well as a modulated reduction rate of metal precursors, which jointly induced the asymmetric growth of monometallic dimers. © 2015 American Chemical Society.
CitationHuang J, Zhu Y, Liu C, Shi Z, Fratalocchi A, et al. (2016) Unravelling Thiol’s Role in Directing Asymmetric Growth of Au Nanorod–Au Nanoparticle Dimers. Nano Lett 16: 617–623. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acs.nanolett.5b04329.
SponsorsThis research was supported by baseline research funds and competitive research funds (FCC/1/1972-03-01) to Y. H. from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Single-Particle Spectroscopic Study on Fluorescence Enhancement by Plasmon Coupled Gold Nanorod Dimers Assembled on DNA Origami.
- Authors: Zhang T, Gao N, Li S, Lang MJ, Xu QH
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 4
- Chiral plasmonics of self-assembled nanorod dimers.
- Authors: Ma W, Kuang H, Wang L, Xu L, Chang WS, Zhang H, Sun M, Zhu Y, Zhao Y, Liu L, Xu C, Link S, Kotov NA
- Issue date: 2013
- Chiral Au₂₅ nanospheres and nanorods: synthesis and insight into the origin of chirality.
- Authors: Zhu M, Qian H, Meng X, Jin S, Wu Z, Jin R
- Issue date: 2011 Sep 14
- Freezing the self-assembly process of gold nanocrystals.
- Authors: Abbas A, Tian L, Kattumenu R, Halim A, Singamaneni S
- Issue date: 2012 Feb 4
- Boron nitride nanotubes and their functionalization via quinuclidine-3-thiol with gold nanoparticles for the development and enhancement of the HPLC performance of HPLC monolithic columns.
- Authors: André C, Guillaume YC
- Issue date: 2012 May 15