Strain-Mediated Interfacial Dynamics during Au–PbS Core–Shell Nanostructure Formation
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Chemical Science Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/621667
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn understanding of the hierarchical nanostructure formation is of significant importance for the design of advanced functional materials. Here, we report the in situ study of lead sulfide (PbS) growth on gold (Au) nanorod seeds using liquid cell transmission electron microscopy (TEM). By tracking the formation dynamics of Au-PbS core-shell nanoparticles, we found the preferential heterogeneous nucleation of PbS on the ends of a Au nanorod prior to the development of a complete PdS shell. During PbS shell growth, drastic sulfidation of Au nanorod was observed, leading to large volume shrinkage (up to 50%) of the initial Au nanorod seed. We also captured intriguing wavy interfacial behavior, which can be explained by our DFT calculation results that the local strain gradient at the core-shell interface facilitates the mass transport and mediates reversible phase transitions of Au ↔ Au2S during the PbS shell growth. © 2016 American Chemical Society.
CitationNiu K-Y, Liu M, Persson KA, Han Y, Zheng H (2016) Strain-Mediated Interfacial Dynamics during Au–PbS Core–Shell Nanostructure Formation. ACS Nano 10: 6235–6240. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.6b02331.
SponsorsWe acknowledge the facility support of National Center for Electron Microscopy (NCEM) at the Molecular Foundry of Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, which is funded by the U.S. Department of Energy Basic Energy Sciences under the Contract No. DE-AC02-05CH11231. H.Z. thanks the support of DOE Office of Science Early Career Research Program. The computational work was supported by the Department of Energy's Basic Energy Sciences program - the Materials Project - under Grant No. EDCBEE. We also thank Dr. Karen Bustillo in NCEM for her help on the TEM analyzes.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Interfacial deposition of Ag on Au seeds leading to AucoreAgshell in organic media.
- Authors: Prathap Chandran S, Ghatak J, Satyam PV, Sastry M
- Issue date: 2007 Aug 15
- Direct Observation of Early Stages of Growth of Multilayered DNA-Templated Au-Pd-Au Core-Shell Nanoparticles in Liquid Phase.
- Authors: Bhattarai N, Prozorov T
- Issue date: 2019
- Monodispersed core-shell Fe3O4@Au nanoparticles.
- Authors: Wang L, Luo J, Fan Q, Suzuki M, Suzuki IS, Engelhard MH, Lin Y, Kim N, Wang JQ, Zhong CJ
- Issue date: 2005 Nov 24
- The shape evolution of gold seeds and gold@silver core-shell nanostructures.
- Authors: Wu Y, Jiang P, Jiang M, Wang TW, Guo CF, Xie SS, Wang ZL
- Issue date: 2009 Jul 29
- Growth of Au on Pt icosahedral nanoparticles revealed by low-dose in situ TEM.
- Authors: Wu J, Gao W, Wen J, Miller DJ, Lu P, Zuo JM, Yang H
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 8