Controlled growth of high-density CdS and CdSe nanorod arrays on selective facets of two-dimensional semiconductor nanoplates
KAUST DepartmentAdvanced Membranes and Porous Materials Research Center
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe rational synthesis of hierarchical three-dimensional nanostructures with specific compositions, morphologies and functionalities is important for applications in a variety of fields ranging from energy conversion and electronics to biotechnology. Here, we report a seeded growth approach for the controlled epitaxial growth of three types of hierarchical one-dimensional (1D)/two-dimensional (2D) nanostructures, where nanorod arrays of II-VI semiconductor CdS or CdSe are grown on the selective facets of hexagonal-shaped nanoplates, either on the two basal facets of the nanoplate, or on one basal facet, or on the two basal facets and six side facets. The seed engineering of 2D hexagonal-shaped nanoplates is the key factor for growth of the three resulting types of 1D/2D nanostructures. The wurtzite- and zinc-blende-type polymorphs of semiconductors are used to determine the facet-selective epitaxial growth of 1D nanorod arrays, resulting in the formation of different hierarchical three-dimensional (3D) nanostructures. © 2016 Macmillan Publishers Limited. All rights reserved.
CitationWu X-J, Chen J, Tan C, Zhu Y, Han Y, et al. (2016) Controlled growth of high-density CdS and CdSe nanorod arrays on selective facets of two-dimensional semiconductor nanoplates. Nature Chem 8: 470–475. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1038/nchem.2473.
SponsorsThis work was supported by Ministry of Education (MOE) under AcRF Tier 2 (ARC 26/13, no. MOE2013-T2-1-034; ARC 19/15, no. MOE2014-T2-2-093) and AcRF Tier 1 (RGT18/13, RG5/13), and Nanyang Technological University (NTU) under a start-up grant (M4081296.070.500000) in Singapore. Research was also conducted by the NTU-HUJ-BGU Nanomaterials for Energy and Water Management Programme at the Campus for Research Excellence and Technological Enterprise (CREATE), which is supported by the National Research Foundation of the Prime Minister's Office, Singapore. Y.H. thanks the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology for the baseline (BAS/1/1372-01-01) and CCF (FCC/1/1972-03-01) research grants.
PublisherNature Publishing Group
- Ligand-controlled polytypism of thick-shell CdSe/CdS nanocrystals.
- Authors: Mahler B, Lequeux N, Dubertret B
- Issue date: 2010 Jan 27
- Liquid-phase epitaxial growth of two-dimensional semiconductor hetero-nanostructures.
- Authors: Tan C, Zeng Z, Huang X, Rui X, Wu XJ, Li B, Luo Z, Chen J, Chen B, Yan Q, Zhang H
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 2
- Three-dimensional mesoscale heterostructures of ZnO nanowire arrays epitaxially grown on CuGaO2 nanoplates as individual diodes.
- Authors: Forticaux A, Hacialioglu S, DeGrave JP, Dziedzic R, Jin S
- Issue date: 2013 Sep 24
- Catalyst-assisted solution-liquid-solid synthesis of CdS/CdSe nanorod heterostructures.
- Authors: Ouyang L, Maher KN, Yu CL, McCarty J, Park H
- Issue date: 2007 Jan 10
- Facet-Selective Epitaxy of Compound Semiconductors on Faceted Silicon Nanowires.
- Authors: Mankin MN, Day RW, Gao R, No YS, Kim SK, McClelland AA, Bell DC, Park HG, Lieber CM
- Issue date: 2015 Jul 8