ZnO Nanorods on a LaAlO 3 -SrTiO 3 Interface: Hybrid 1D-2D Diodes with Engineered Electronic Properties
KAUST DepartmentLaboratory of Nano Oxides for Sustainable Energy
Material Science and Engineering Program
Nanofabrication Core Lab
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Thin Films & Characterization
Online Publication Date2015-12-28
Print Publication Date2016-02
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/621638
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIntegrating nanomaterials with different dimensionalities and properties is a versatile approach toward realizing new functionalities in advanced devices. Here, a novel diode-type heterostructure is reported consisting of 1D semiconducting ZnO nanorods and 2D metallic LaAlO3-SrTiO3 interface. Tunable insulator-to-metal transitions, absent in the individual components, are observed as a result of the competing temperature-dependent conduction mechanisms. Detailed transport analysis reveals direct tunneling at low bias, Fowler-Nordheim tunneling at high forward bias, and Zener breakdown at high reverse bias. Our results highlight the rich electronic properties of such artificial diodes with hybrid dimensionalities, and the design principle may be generalized to other nanomaterials. © 2015 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationBera A, Lin W, Yao Y, Ding J, Lourembam J, et al. (2015) ZnO Nanorods on a LaAlO 3 -SrTiO 3 Interface: Hybrid 1D-2D Diodes with Engineered Electronic Properties . Small 12: 802–809. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smll.201502117.
SponsorsResearch reported in this publication was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- Ultrathin and Atomically Flat Transition-Metal Oxide: Promising Building Blocks for Metal-Insulator Electronics.
- Authors: Cui Q, Sakhdari M, Chamlagain B, Chuang HJ, Liu Y, Cheng MM, Zhou Z, Chen PY
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 21
- Visualizing atomistic formation process of SrOx thin films on SrTiO3.
- Authors: Ohsawa T, Shimizu R, Iwaya K, Hitosugi T
- Issue date: 2014 Mar 25
- Tailoring the Two Dimensional Electron Gas at Polar ABO3/SrTiO3 Interfaces for Oxide Electronics.
- Authors: Li C, Liu Z, Lü W, Wang XR, Annadi A, Huang Z, Zeng S, Ariando, Venkatesan T
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 26
- Polarization and electric field dependence of electronic properties in LaAlO3/SrTiO3 heterostructures.
- Authors: Yang X, Su H
- Issue date: 2011 Oct
- Quantized Ballistic Transport of Electrons and Electron Pairs in LaAlO<sub>3</sub>/SrTiO<sub>3</sub> Nanowires.
- Authors: Annadi A, Cheng G, Lee H, Lee JW, Lu S, Tylan-Tyler A, Briggeman M, Tomczyk M, Huang M, Pekker D, Eom CB, Irvin P, Levy J
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 11