Shape-Enhanced Photocatalytic Activities of Thoroughly Mesoporous ZnO Nanofibers
KAUST DepartmentMaterials Science and Engineering Program
Physical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/621634
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract1D mesoporous materials have attracted extensive interest recently, owning to their fascinating properties and versatile applications. However, it remains as a grand challenge to develop a simple and efficient technique to produce oxide nanofibers with mesoporous architectures, controlled morphologies, large surface areas, and optimal performances. In this work, a facile foaming-assisted electrospinning strategy with foaming agent of tea saponin is used to produce thoroughly mesoporous ZnO nanofibers with high purity and controlled morphology. Interestingly, mesoporous fibers with elliptical cross-section exhibit the significantly enhanced photocatalytic activity for hydrogen production, as compared to the counterparts with circular and rectangular cross-sections, and they also perform better than the commercial ZnO nanopowders. The unexpected shape dependence of photocatalytic activities is attributed to the different stacking modes of the mesoporous fibers, and a geometrical model is developed to account for the shape dependence. This work represents an important step toward producing thoroughly mesoporous ZnO nanofibers with tailored morphologies, and the discovery that fibers with elliptical cross-section render the best performance provides a valuable guideline for improving the photocatalytic performance of such mesoporous nanomaterials. © 2016 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationRen X, Hou H, Liu Z, Gao F, Zheng J, et al. (2016) Shape-Enhanced Photocatalytic Activities of Thoroughly Mesoporous ZnO Nanofibers. Small 12: 4007–4017. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/smll.201600991.
SponsorsThe work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC, Grant Nos. 51372122 and 51372123) and the Program of Shanghai Outstanding Technical Leaders (Grant No. 14XD1425400). This work was also supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- General strategy for fabricating thoroughly mesoporous nanofibers.
- Authors: Hou H, Wang L, Gao F, Wei G, Tang B, Yang W, Wu T
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 3
- Tailored Fabrication of Thoroughly Mesoporous BiVO4 Nanofibers and Their Visible-Light Photocatalytic Activities.
- Authors: Liu H, Hou H, Gao F, Yao X, Yang W
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 27
- Highly Efficient Photocatalytic Hydrogen Evolution in Ternary Hybrid TiO2/CuO/Cu Thoroughly Mesoporous Nanofibers.
- Authors: Hou H, Shang M, Gao F, Wang L, Liu Q, Zheng J, Yang Z, Yang W
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 10
- Efficient Photocatalytic Activities of TiO2 Hollow Fibers with Mixed Phases and Mesoporous Walls.
- Authors: Hou H, Shang M, Wang L, Li W, Tang B, Yang W
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 15
- One-dimensional CdS/ZnO core/shell nanofibers via single-spinneret electrospinning: tunable morphology and efficient photocatalytic hydrogen production.
- Authors: Yang G, Yan W, Zhang Q, Shen S, Ding S
- Issue date: 2013 Dec 21