Cadmium-Aluminum Layered Double Hydroxide Microspheres for Photocatalytic CO2Reduction
Khashab, Niveen M.
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/621622
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report the synthesis of cadmium-aluminum layered double hydroxide (CdAl LDH) using the reaction-diffusion framework. As the hydroxide anions diffuse into an agar gel matrix containing the mixture of aluminum and cadmium salts at a given ratio, they react to give the LDH. The LDH self-assembles inside the pores of the gel matrix into a unique spherical-porous shaped microstructure. The internal and external morphologies of the particles are studied by electron microscopy and tomography revealing interconnected channels and a high surface area. This material is shown to exhibit a promising performance in the photoreduction of carbon dioxide using solar light. Moreover, the palladium-decorated version shows a significant improvement in its reduction potential at room temperature. © 2016 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim.
CitationSaliba D, Ezzeddine A, Sougrat R, Khashab NM, Hmadeh M, et al. (2016) Cadmium-Aluminum Layered Double Hydroxide Microspheres for Photocatalytic CO2Reduction. ChemSusChem 9: 800–805. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/cssc.201600088.
SponsorsDS and MG gratefully acknowledge the funding provided by the American University of Beirut Research Board and by the Lebanese National Council for Scientific Research (LCNSR). MH acknowledges the funding provided by the Masri institute at AUB (#102882). The authors are grateful to Professor Geoffrey A. Ozin laboratory at University of Toronto for providing access to their gas phase photoreactors setup. We also thank Miss Jia Jia, Abdinoor Jelle, and Mr. Kristian Elchami at GAO group for their assistance in the photocatalytic tests.
- Concomitant synthesis of highly crystalline Zn-Al layered double hydroxide and ZnO: phase interconversion and enhanced photocatalytic activity.
- Authors: Dutta K, Das S, Pramanik A
- Issue date: 2012 Jan 15
- CO₂ sorbents with scaffold-like Ca-Al layered double hydroxides as precursors for CO₂ capture at high temperatures.
- Authors: Chang PH, Lee TJ, Chang YP, Chen SY
- Issue date: 2013 Jun
- Synthesis and carbon dioxide sorption of layered double hydroxide/silica foam nanocomposites with hierarchical mesostructure.
- Authors: Fu L, Qi G, Shekhah O, Belmabkhout Y, Estevez L, Eddaoudi M, Giannelis EP
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Layered double hydroxide stability. 1. Relative stabilities of layered double hydroxides and their simple counterparts.
- Authors: Boclair JW, Braterman PS
- Issue date: 1999
- Facile synthesis of NiAl-layered double hydroxide/graphene hybrid with enhanced electrochemical properties for detection of dopamine.
- Authors: Li M, Zhu JE, Zhang L, Chen X, Zhang H, Zhang F, Xu S, Evans DG
- Issue date: 2011 Oct 5