Laser-induced reversion of δ′ precipitates in an Al-Li alloy: Study on temperature rise in pulsed laser atom probe
KAUST DepartmentMaterial Science and Engineering Program
Nanofabrication Core Lab
Office of the VP
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Thin Films & Characterization
Online Publication Date2016-06-14
Print Publication Date2016-08
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/621592
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe influence of tuning the laser pulse energy during the analyses on the resulting microstructure in a specimen utilizing an ultra-fast laser assisted atom probe was demonstrated by a case study of a binary Al-Li alloy. The decomposition parameters, such as the size, number density, volume fraction, and composition of δ' precipitates, were carefully monitored after each analysis. A simple model was employed to estimate the corresponding specimen temperature for each value of the laser energy. The results indicated that the corresponding temperatures for the laser pulse energy in the range of 10 to 80 pJ are located inside the miscibility gap of the binary Al-Li phase diagram and fall into the metastable equilibrium field. In addition, the corresponding temperature for a laser pulse energy of 100 pJ was in fairly good agreement with reported range of δ' solvus temperature, suggesting a result of reversion upon heating due to laser pulsing. © 2016 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
CitationKhushaim M, Gemma R, Al-Kassab T (2016) Laser-induced reversion of δ′ precipitates in an Al-Li alloy: Study on temperature rise in pulsed laser atom probe. Microsc Res Tech 79: 727–737. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/jemt.22691.
SponsorsContract grant sponsor: King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
- Effect of laser pulsing on the composition measurement of an Al-Mg-Si-Cu alloy using three-dimensional atom probe.
- Authors: Sha G, Ringer SP
- Issue date: 2009 Apr
- L1<sub>2</sub> ordering and δ' precipitation in Al-Cu-Li.
- Authors: Neibecker P, Leitner M, Kushaim M, Boll T, Anjum D, Al-Kassab T, Haider F
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 12
- About the contrast of δ' precipitates in bulk Al-Cu-Li alloys in reflection mode with a field-emission scanning electron microscope at low accelerating voltage.
- Authors: Brodusch N, Voisard F, Gauvin R
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Voltage-pulsed and laser-pulsed atom probe tomography of a multiphase high-strength low-carbon steel.
- Authors: Mulholland MD, Seidman DN
- Issue date: 2011 Dec
- A model Ni-Al-Mo superalloy studied by ultraviolet pulsed-laser-assisted local-electrode atom-probe tomography.
- Authors: Tu Y, Plotnikov EY, Seidman DN
- Issue date: 2015 Apr