KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractConventional intercalated rechargeable batteries have shown their capacity limit, and the development of an alternative battery system with higher capacity is strongly needed for sustainable electrical vehicles and hand-held devices. Herein, we introduce a feasible and scalable multilayer approach to fabricate a promising hybrid lithium battery with superior capacity and multivoltage plateaus. A sulfur-rich electrode (90 wt % S) is covered by a dual layer of graphite/Li4Ti5O12, where the active materials S and Li4Ti5O12 can both take part in redox reactions and thus deliver a high capacity of 572 mAh gcathode -1 (vs the total mass of electrode) or 1866 mAh gs -1 (vs the mass of sulfur) at 0.1C (with the definition of 1C = 1675 mA gs -1). The battery shows unique voltage platforms at 2.35 and 2.1 V, contributed from S, and 1.55 V from Li4Ti5O12. A high rate capability of 566 mAh gcathode -1 at 0.25C and 376 mAh gcathode -1 at 1C with durable cycle ability over 100 cycles can be achieved. Operando Raman and electron microscope analysis confirm that the graphite/Li4Ti5O12 layer slows the dissolution/migration of polysulfides, thereby giving rise to a higher sulfur utilization and a slower capacity decay. This advanced hybrid battery with a multilayer concept for marrying different voltage plateaus from various electrode materials opens a way of providing tunable capacity and multiple voltage platforms for energy device applications. © 2016 American Chemical Society.
CitationMing J, Li M, Kumar P, Li L-J (2016) Multilayer Approach for Advanced Hybrid Lithium Battery. ACS Nano 10: 6037–6044. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.6b01626.
SponsorsThe research was supported by KAUST.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Three-dimensional sulfur/graphene multifunctional hybrid sponges for lithium-sulfur batteries with large areal mass loading.
- Authors: Lu S, Chen Y, Wu X, Wang Z, Li Y
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 10
- The Li-ion rechargeable battery: a perspective.
- Authors: Goodenough JB, Park KS
- Issue date: 2013 Jan 30
- Sulfur Nanogranular Film-Coated Three-Dimensional Graphene Sponge-Based High Power Lithium Sulfur Battery.
- Authors: Ahn W, Seo MH, Jun YS, Lee DU, Hassan FM, Wang X, Yu A, Chen Z
- Issue date: 2016 Jan 27
- Sulfonic Groups Originated Dual-Functional Interlayer for High Performance Lithium-Sulfur Battery.
- Authors: Lu Y, Gu S, Guo J, Rui K, Chen C, Zhang S, Jin J, Yang J, Wen Z
- Issue date: 2017 May 3
- Challenges and prospects of lithium-sulfur batteries.
- Authors: Manthiram A, Fu Y, Su YS
- Issue date: 2013 May 21