Electron dominated thermoelectric response in MNiSn (M: Ti, Zr, Hf) half-Heusler alloys
KAUST DepartmentPhysical Sciences and Engineering (PSE) Division
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe solve the transport equations of the electrons and phonons to understand the thermoelectric behaviour of the technologically important half-Heusler alloys MNiSn (M: Ti, Zr, Hf). Doping is simulated within the rigid band approximation. We clarify the origin of the electron dominated thermoelectric response and determine the carrier concentrations with maximal figures of merit. The phonon mean free path is studied to calculate the grain size below which grain refinement methods can enforce ballistic heat conduction to enhance the figure of merit. © The Owner Societies 2016.
CitationGandi AN, Schwingenschlögl U (2016) Electron dominated thermoelectric response in MNiSn (M: Ti, Zr, Hf) half-Heusler alloys. Phys Chem Chem Phys 18: 14017–14022. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1039/c6cp01786j.
SponsorsThe research reported in this publication was supported by funding from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST). Computational resources were provided by the Supercomputing Laboratory of KAUST.
PublisherRoyal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
JournalPhys. Chem. Chem. Phys.
- The intrinsic disorder related alloy scattering in ZrNiSn half-Heusler thermoelectric materials.
- Authors: Xie H, Wang H, Fu C, Liu Y, Snyder GJ, Zhao X, Zhu T
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 3
- Realizing high figure of merit in heavy-band p-type half-Heusler thermoelectric materials.
- Authors: Fu C, Bai S, Liu Y, Tang Y, Chen L, Zhao X, Zhu T
- Issue date: 2015 Sep 2
- Ab initio phonon properties of half-Heusler NiTiSn, NiZrSn and NiHfSn.
- Authors: Andrea L, Hug G, Chaput L
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 28
- Enhancing the Figure of Merit of Heavy-Band Thermoelectric Materials Through Hierarchical Phonon Scattering.
- Authors: Fu C, Wu H, Liu Y, He J, Zhao X, Zhu T
- Issue date: 2016 Aug
- Enhanced thermoelectric performance in the p-type half-Heusler (Ti/Zr/Hf)CoSb0.8Sn0.2 system via phase separation.
- Authors: Rausch E, Balke B, Ouardi S, Felser C
- Issue date: 2014 Dec 14