MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPlasmons can be supported on graphene sheets as the Dirac electrons oscillate collectively. A tight-binding model for graphene plasmons is a good description as the field confinement in the normal direction is strong. With this model, the topological properties of plasmonic bands in multilayer graphene systems are investigated. The Zak phases of periodic graphene sheet arrays are obtained for different configurations. Analogous to Su-Schrieffer-Heeger (SSH) model in electronic systems, topological edge plasmon modes emerge when two periodic graphene sheet arrays with different Zak phases are connected. Interestingly, the dispersion of these topological edge modes is the same as that in the monolayer graphene and is invariant as the geometric parameters of the structure such as the separation and period change. These plasmonic edge states in multilayer graphene systems can be further tuned by electrical gating or chemical doping. © 2015 Optical Society of America.
CitationGe L, Wang L, Xiao M, Wen W, Chan CT, et al. (2015) Topological edge modes in multilayer graphene systems. Optics Express 23: 21585. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.23.021585.
SponsorsThis work is supported the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 11304038) and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (Grant No. CQDXWL-2014-Z005). Work in Hong Kong is supported by Hong Kong Research Grant Council AOE/P-02/12.
PublisherThe Optical Society
- Topological edge plasmon modes between diatomic chains of plasmonic nanoparticles.
- Authors: Ling CW, Xiao M, Chan CT, Yu SF, Fung KH
- Issue date: 2015 Feb 9
- Topological edge modes in non-Hermitian plasmonic waveguide arrays.
- Authors: Ke S, Wang B, Long H, Wang K, Lu P
- Issue date: 2017 May 15
- Plasmon modes in graphene: status and prospect.
- Authors: Politano A, Chiarello G
- Issue date: 2014 Oct 7
- Efficient nonlinear generation of THz plasmons in graphene and topological insulators.
- Authors: Yao X, Tokman M, Belyanin A
- Issue date: 2014 Feb 7
- Topological States Characterized by Mirror Winding Numbers in Graphene with Bond Modulation.
- Authors: Kariyado T, Hu X
- Issue date: 2017 Nov 28