4.8 Gbit/s 16-QAM-OFDM transmission based on compact 450-nm laser for underwater wireless optical communication
AuthorsOubei, Hassan M.
Duran, Jose R.
Ng, Tien Khee
Ooi, Boon S.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe experimentally demonstrate an underwater wireless optical communications (UWOC) employing 450-nm TO-9 packaged and fiberpigtailed laser diode (LD) directly encoded with an orthogonal frequency division multiplexed quadrature amplitude modulation (QAM-OFDM) data. A record data rate of up to 4.8 Gbit/s over 5.4-m transmission distance is achieved. By encoding the full 1.2-GHz bandwidth of the 450-nm LD with a 16-QAM-OFDM data, an error vector magnitude (EVM) of 16.5%, a signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) of 15.63 dB and a bit error rate (BER) of 2.6 × 10-3, well pass the forward error correction (FEC) criterion, were obtained. © 2015 Optical Society of America.
CitationOubei HM, Duran JR, Janjua B, Wang H-Y, Tsai C-T, et al. (2015) 48 Gbit/s 16-QAM-OFDM transmission based on compact 450-nm laser for underwater wireless optical communication. Optics Express 23: 23302. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1364/OE.23.023302.
SponsorsThis work was performed in National Taiwan University (NTU). Hassan Makine Oubei gratefully acknowledges the financial support from King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST), under KAUST baseline funding; KAUST Competitive Center Funding (Red Sea Research Center), and KACST TIC (Technology Innovation Center) for Solid State Lighting at KAUST.
PublisherThe Optical Society
- 450-nm GaN laser diode enables high-speed visible light communication with 9-Gbps QAM-OFDM.
- Authors: Chi YC, Hsieh DH, Tsai CT, Chen HY, Kuo HC, Lin GR
- Issue date: 2015 May 18
- TO-56-can packaged colorless WRC-FPLD for QAM OFDM transmission at 42 Gbit/s over 25-km SMF.
- Authors: Cheng MC, Chi YC, Tsai CT, Lin CY, Lin GR
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 24
- 2.3 Gbit/s underwater wireless optical communications using directly modulated 520 nm laser diode.
- Authors: Oubei HM, Li C, Park KH, Ng TK, Alouini MS, Ooi BS
- Issue date: 2015 Aug 10
- 26 m/5.5 Gbps air-water optical wireless communication based on an OFDM-modulated 520-nm laser diode.
- Authors: Chen Y, Kong M, Ali T, Wang J, Sarwar R, Han J, Guo C, Sun B, Deng N, Xu J
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 26
- 10-m 9.51-Gb/s RGB laser diodes-based WDM underwater wireless optical communication.
- Authors: Kong M, Lv W, Ali T, Sarwar R, Yu C, Qiu Y, Qu F, Xu Z, Han J, Xu J
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 21