The RNA Polymerase II C-Terminal Domain Phosphatase-Like Protein FIERY2/CPL1 Interacts with eIF4AIII and Is Essential for Nonsense-Mediated mRNA Decay in Arabidopsis
KAUST DepartmentBiological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE) Division
Center for Desert Agriculture
Plant Stress Genomics Research Lab
Online Publication Date2016-02-17
Print Publication Date2016-03
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/621443
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2016 American Society of Plant Biologists. All rights reserved. Nonsense-mediated decay (NMD) is a posttranscriptional surveillance mechanism in eukaryotes that recognizes and degrades transcripts with premature translation-termination codons. The RNA polymerase II C-terminal domain phosphatase-like protein FIERY2 (FRY2; also known as C-TERMINAL DOMAIN PHOSPHATASE-LIKE1 [CPL1]) plays multiple roles in RNA processing in Arabidopsis thaliana. Here, we found that FRY2/CPL1 interacts with two NMD factors, eIF4AIII and UPF3, and is involved in the dephosphorylation of eIF4AIII. This dephosphorylation retains eIF4AIII in the nucleus and limits its accumulation in the cytoplasm. By analyzing RNA-seq data combined with quantitative RT-PCR validation, we found that a subset of alternatively spliced transcripts and 59-extended mRNAs with NMD-eliciting features accumulated in the fry2-1 mutant, cycloheximidetreated wild type, and upf3 mutant plants, indicating that FRY2 is essential for the degradation of these NMD transcripts.
CitationCui P, Chen T, Qin T, Ding F, Wang Z, et al. (2016) The RNA Polymerase II C-Terminal Domain Phosphatase-Like Protein FIERY2/CPL1 Interacts with eIF4AIII and Is Essential for Nonsense-Mediated mRNA Decay in Arabidopsis. Plant Cell 28: 770–785. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1105/tpc.15.00771.
SponsorsThis work was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology Office of Sponsored Research (OSR) under Award URF/1/2283-01-01 and Faculty Baseline Funds BAS/1/1007-1-1. We thank the Bioscience Core Lab of KAUST for providing genome sequencing and imaging services.
JournalThe Plant Cell
- A KH-domain RNA-binding protein interacts with FIERY2/CTD phosphatase-like 1 and splicing factors and is important for pre-mRNA splicing in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Chen T, Cui P, Chen H, Ali S, Zhang S, Xiong L
- Issue date: 2013
- Arabidopsis C-terminal domain phosphatase-like 1 and 2 are essential Ser-5-specific C-terminal domain phosphatases.
- Authors: Koiwa H, Hausmann S, Bang WY, Ueda A, Kondo N, Hiraguri A, Fukuhara T, Bahk JD, Yun DJ, Bressan RA, Hasegawa PM, Shuman S
- Issue date: 2004 Oct 5
- Loss of function of Arabidopsis C-terminal domain phosphatase-like1 activates iron deficiency responses at the transcriptional level.
- Authors: Aksoy E, Jeong IS, Koiwa H
- Issue date: 2013 Jan
- Arabidopsis C-terminal domain phosphatase-like 1 functions in miRNA accumulation and DNA methylation.
- Authors: Jeong IS, Aksoy E, Fukudome A, Akhter S, Hiraguri A, Fukuhara T, Bahk JD, Koiwa H
- Issue date: 2013
- Nonsense-mediated mRNA decay factors, UPF1 and UPF3, contribute to plant defense.
- Authors: Jeong HJ, Kim YJ, Kim SH, Kim YH, Lee IJ, Kim YK, Shin JS
- Issue date: 2011 Dec