AuthorsRodriguez Granados, Natalia Yaneth
Ramirez Prado, Juan Sebastian
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe three-dimensional organization of the eukaryotic nucleus and its chromosomal conformation have emerged as important features in the complex network of mechanisms behind gene activity and genome connectivity dynamics, which can be evidenced in the regionalized chromosomal spatial distribution and the clustering of diverse genomic regions with similar expression patterns. The development of chromatin conformation capture (3C) techniques has permitted the elucidation of commonalities between the eukaryotic phyla, as well as important differences among them. The growing number of studies in the field performed in plants has shed light on the structural and regulatory features of these organisms. For instance, it has been proposed that plant chromatin can be arranged into different conformations such as Rabl, Rosette-like, and Bouquet, and that both short- and long-range chromatin interactions occur in Arabidopsis. In this review, we compile the current knowledge about chromosome architecture characteristics in plants, as well as the molecular events and elements (including long non-coding RNAs, histone and DNA modifications, chromatin remodeling complexes, and transcription factors) shaping the genome three-dimensional conformation. Furthermore, we discuss the developmental outputs of genome topology-mediated gene expression regulation. It is becoming increasingly clear that new tools and techniques with higher resolution need to be developed and implemented in Arabidopsis and other model plants in order to better understand chromosome architecture dynamics, from an integrative perspective with other fields of plant biology such as development, stress biology, and finally agriculture. © 2016 The Author 2016.
CitationRodriguez-Granados NY, Ramirez-Prado JS, Veluchamy A, Latrasse D, Raynaud C, et al. (2016) Put your 3D glasses on: plant chromatin is on show. Journal of Experimental Botany 67: 3205–3221. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1093/jxb/erw168.
PublisherOxford University Press (OUP)
JournalJournal of Experimental Botany
- Not just gene expression: 3D implications of chromatin modifications during sexual plant reproduction.
- Authors: Dukowic-Schulze S, Liu C, Chen C
- Issue date: 2018 Jan
- Circular Chromosome Conformation Capture in Plants.
- Authors: Grob S
- Issue date: 2017
- Studying physical chromatin interactions in plants using Chromosome Conformation Capture (3C).
- Authors: Louwers M, Splinter E, van Driel R, de Laat W, Stam M
- Issue date: 2009
- Prominent topologically associated domains differentiate global chromatin packing in rice from Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Liu C, Cheng YJ, Wang JW, Weigel D
- Issue date: 2017 Sep
- A Compendium of Methods to Analyze the Spatial Organization of Plant Chromatin.
- Authors: Probst AV
- Issue date: 2018