Ecological status and sources of anthropogenic contaminants in mangroves of the Wouri River Estuary (Cameroon)
Beone, Gian Maria
Suciu, Nicoleta Alina
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/621432
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMangroves are critically threatened by human activities, despite the important ecosystem functions and services they provide. Mangroves in Cameroon represent no exception to the worldwide trend of mangrove destruction, especially around Douala, on the Wouri river estuary. In two sites around Douala, we assessed the presence of sterols, PAHs, PCBs, DEHP, DDT and its metabolite p,p'-DDE and potentially toxic metals in sediment samples. As a proxy of ecological quality, we measured the diversity and abundance of macrobenthos assemblages. We detected p,p'-DDE contamination, with concentrations higher than 3μgkg-1 in 16 out of 26 samples which were attributed to recent widespread use of DDT. The detection of sterols revealed faecal contamination. Significant sensitivity of the macrobenthos to contaminants was revealed, with possible implications on the overall mangrove vulnerability to climate change and on the provision of ecosystem services to local populations. © 2016 Elsevier Ltd.
CitationFusi M, Beone GM, Suciu NA, Sacchi A, Trevisan M, et al. (2016) Ecological status and sources of anthropogenic contaminants in mangroves of the Wouri River Estuary (Cameroon). Marine Pollution Bulletin 109: 723–733. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.marpolbul.2016.06.104.
SponsorsCameroon Oil Transportation Company (COTCO)
SP3-People (Marie Curie) IRSES Project CREC
JournalMarine Pollution Bulletin
- Status of persistent organic pollutants in the sediment from several estuaries in China.
- Authors: Yuan D, Yang D, Wade TL, Qian Y
- Issue date: 2001
- Spatial distribution of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbon and polychlorinated biphenyl sources in the Nakdong River Estuary, South Korea.
- Authors: Lee JH, Woo HJ, Jeong KS, Kang JW, Choi JU, Jeong EJ, Park KS, Lee DH
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 15
- Distribution of inorganic and organic contaminants in sediments from Sydney Olympic Park and the surrounding Sydney metropolitan area.
- Authors: Ying GG, Rawson CA, Kookana RS, Warne MS, Peng PA, Li XM, Laginestra E, Tremblay LA, Chapman JC, Lim RP
- Issue date: 2009 Sep
- Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs) and organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) in sediments from an urban- and industrial-impacted subtropical estuary (Babitonga Bay, Brazil).
- Authors: Rizzi J, Taniguchi S, Martins CC
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 15
- Assessing the ecological quality status of transplanted mangrove wetland in the Oujiang estuary, China.
- Authors: Hu C, Shui B, Li W, Yang X, Zhang X
- Issue date: 2018 Aug