Arabidopsis YAK1 regulates abscisic acid response and drought resistance
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAbscisic acid (ABA) is an important phytohormone that controls several plant processes such as seed germination, seedling growth, and abiotic stress response. Here, we report that AtYak1 plays an important role in ABA signaling and postgermination growth in Arabidopsis. AtYak1 knockout mutant plants were hyposensitive to ABA inhibition of seed germination, cotyledon greening, seedling growth, and stomatal movement. atyak1-1 mutant plants display reduced drought stress resistance, as evidenced by water loss rate and survival rate. Molecular genetic analysis revealed that AtYak1 deficiency led to elevated expression of stomatal-related gene, MYB60, and down-regulation of several stress-responsive genes. Altogether, these results indicate that AtYak1 plays a role as a positive regulator in ABA-mediated drought response in Arabidopsis. © 2016 Federation of European Biochemical Societies.
CitationKim D, Ntui VO, Xiong L (2016) Arabidopsis YAK1 regulates abscisic acid response and drought resistance. FEBS Letters 590: 2201–2209. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/1873-3468.12234.
SponsorsThis study was supported by King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) BAS/1/1007-01-01 (to L.X.).
- FAR-RED ELONGATED HYPOCOTYL3 and FAR-RED IMPAIRED RESPONSE1 transcription factors integrate light and abscisic acid signaling in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Tang W, Ji Q, Huang Y, Jiang Z, Bao M, Wang H, Lin R
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- Overexpression of the MYB37 transcription factor enhances abscisic acid sensitivity, and improves both drought tolerance and seed productivity in Arabidopsis thaliana.
- Authors: Yu YT, Wu Z, Lu K, Bi C, Liang S, Wang XF, Zhang DP
- Issue date: 2016 Feb
- Identification of two protein kinases required for abscisic acid regulation of seed germination, root growth, and gene expression in Arabidopsis.
- Authors: Fujii H, Verslues PE, Zhu JK
- Issue date: 2007 Feb
- Arabidopsis RAV1 transcription factor, phosphorylated by SnRK2 kinases, regulates the expression of ABI3, ABI4, and ABI5 during seed germination and early seedling development.
- Authors: Feng CZ, Chen Y, Wang C, Kong YH, Wu WH, Chen YF
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Arabidopsis thaliana RECEPTOR DEAD KINASE1 Functions as a Positive Regulator in Plant Responses to ABA.
- Authors: Kumar D, Kumar R, Baek D, Hyun TK, Chung WS, Yun DJ, Kim JY
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 13