Modulated Magnetic Nanowires for Controlling Domain Wall Motion: Toward 3D Magnetic Memories
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCylindrical magnetic nanowires are attractive materials for next generation data storage devices owing to the theoretically achievable high domain wall velocity and their efficient fabrication in highly dense arrays. In order to obtain control over domain wall motion, reliable and well-defined pinning sites are required. Here, we show that modulated nanowires consisting of alternating nickel and cobalt sections facilitate efficient domain wall pinning at the interfaces of those sections. By combining electron holography with micromagnetic simulations, the pinning effect can be explained by the interaction of the stray fields generated at the interface and the domain wall. Utilizing a modified differential phase contrast imaging, we visualized the pinned domain wall with a high resolution, revealing its three-dimensional vortex structure with the previously predicted Bloch point at its center. These findings suggest the potential of modulated nanowires for the development of high-density, three-dimensional data storage devices. © 2016 American Chemical Society.
CitationIvanov YP, Chuvilin A, Lopatin S, Kosel J (2016) Modulated Magnetic Nanowires for Controlling Domain Wall Motion: Toward 3D Magnetic Memories. ACS Nano 10: 5326–5332. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/acsnano.6b01337.
SponsorsResearch reported in this publication was supported by the King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST).
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
- Direct Observation of Current-Induced Motion of a 3D Vortex Domain Wall in Cylindrical Nanowires.
- Authors: Ivanov YP, Chuvilin A, Lopatin S, Mohammed H, Kosel J
- Issue date: 2017 May 24
- Quantitative Nanoscale Magnetic Study of Isolated Diameter-Modulated FeCoCu Nanowires.
- Authors: Rodríguez LA, Bran C, Reyes D, Berganza E, Vázquez M, Gatel C, Snoeck E, Asenjo A
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 6
- Single crystalline cylindrical nanowires - toward dense 3D arrays of magnetic vortices.
- Authors: Ivanov YP, Chuvilin A, Vivas LG, Kosel J, Chubykalo-Fesenko O, Vázquez M
- Issue date: 2016 Mar 31
- Domain wall pinning in FeCoCu bamboo-like nanowires.
- Authors: Berganza E, Bran C, Jaafar M, Vázquez M, Asenjo A
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 11
- Effect of a pinning field on the critical current density for current-induced domain wall motion in perpendicular magnetic anisotropy nanowires.
- Authors: Ooba A, Fujimura Y, Takahashi K, Komine T, Sugita R
- Issue date: 2012 Sep