Designing Efficient Solar-Driven Hydrogen Evolution Photocathodes Using Semitransparent MoQxCly(Q = S, Se) Catalysts on Si Micropyramids
Shearer, Melinda J.
Hamers, Robert J.
KAUST DepartmentComputer, Electrical and Mathematical Sciences and Engineering (CEMSE) Division
Electrical Engineering Program
KAUST Solar Center (KSC)
Nano Energy Lab
Physical Science and Engineering (PSE) Division
Online Publication Date2015-09-21
Print Publication Date2015-11
Permanent link to this recordhttp://hdl.handle.net/10754/621389
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract© 2015 WILEY-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co. KGaA, Weinheim. Silicon micropyramids with n+pp+ junctions are demonstrated to be efficient absorbers for integrated solar-driven hydrogen production systems enabling significant improvements in both photocurrent and onset potential. When conformally coated with MoSxCly, a catalyst that has excellent catalytic activity and high optical transparency, the highest photocurrent density for Si-based photocathodes with earth-abundant catalysts is achieved.
CitationDing Q, Zhai J, Cabán-Acevedo M, Shearer MJ, Li L, et al. (2015) Designing Efficient Solar-Driven Hydrogen Evolution Photocathodes Using Semitransparent MoQxCly(Q = S, Se) Catalysts on Si Micropyramids. Advanced Materials 27: 6511–6518. Available: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/adma.201501884.
SponsorsThis research was supported by the U.S. Department of Energy, Office of Basic Energy Sciences, Division of Materials Sciences and Engineering, under Award No. DE-FG02-09ER46664. S.J. also thanks UW-Madison H. I. Romnes Faculty Fellowship for support. M.C. thanks the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship for support. The authors thank Mr. Donghyeon Kang and Prof. Kyoung-Shin Choi for their assistance with the GC-MS measurements.
- Efficient hydrogen evolution catalysis using ternary pyrite-type cobalt phosphosulphide.
- Authors: Cabán-Acevedo M, Stone ML, Schmidt JR, Thomas JG, Ding Q, Chang HC, Tsai ML, He JH, Jin S
- Issue date: 2015 Dec
- Highly Efficient Photoelectrochemical Hydrogen Generation Reaction Using Tungsten Phosphosulfide Nanosheets.
- Authors: Veeramani V, Yu HC, Hu SF, Liu RS
- Issue date: 2018 May 23
- Photoelectrochemical hydrogen production in alkaline solutions using Cu2O coated with earth-abundant hydrogen evolution catalysts.
- Authors: Morales-Guio CG, Liardet L, Mayer MT, Tilley SD, Grätzel M, Hu X
- Issue date: 2015 Jan 7
- Solar Hydrogen Production by Amorphous Silicon Photocathodes Coated with a Magnetron Sputter Deposited Mo2C Catalyst.
- Authors: Morales-Guio CG, Thorwarth K, Niesen B, Liardet L, Patscheider J, Ballif C, Hu X
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 10
- Ultrathin MoS<sub>2</sub>-coated Ag@Si nanosphere arrays as an efficient and stable photocathode for solar-driven hydrogen production.
- Authors: Zhou Q, Su S, Hu D, Lin L, Yan Z, Gao X, Zhang Z, Liu JM
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 9